Inspect and Adapt

Even with a well considered plan, development teams will encounter unanticipated obstacles and will need to adapt to new information. Appian teams use a set of Scrum-based meetings to routinely inspect progress and adapt as needed to achieve the team’s goal.

Daily Stand-up

Each day, the team will meet to review progress toward the iteration’s goal and coordinate their activities for that day. The meeting, frequently called a stand-up, is scheduled at the same time each day for only 15 minutes. The team will decide how best to run the meeting, but it typically involves each team member answering three questions:

• What did I accomplish yesterday?
  • What will I accomplish today?
  • What might block me from achieving my daily goal?

The most important goal of the meeting is to keep development moving forward. The team lead will capture any obstacles the team is facing and work to quickly remove them.

Key Insight: Make impediments transparent 

Quickly removing obstacles the team encounters is essential to moving fast. Teams should track impediments in a visible way to facilitate communication with the extended team and to maintain focus on their removal. One way to do this is to maintain a shared list of obstacles in an Impediment Tracker.

Resources:

Sprint Review 

At the end of each Sprint, the team will demo the completed features to the larger stakeholder group. The product owner will have seen each feature as it was completed, but this is an opportunity for more users to see what progress has been made and to validate that the application will meet their needs. By reviewing progress frequently, it’s easier to course correct if needed and helps with user adoption once the application is deployed.

Standard Iteration Review Agenda:

1. Overview of features in this iteration
  2. Reminder of the overall story map and where these features fit in
  3. Demo of each feature, showing how a user would interact with it
  4. Record group feedback and adjust the  backlog if needed 

In addition to the showcase, the team should discuss any changes to the Release Plan that are necessary given new information.

Retrospective Meeting

In addition to the Sprint Review, the delivery team will meet with key project stakeholders (e.g. PO, business & technical SME’s) to reflect on how to become more efficient. The team will use this Retrospective Meeting to celebrate what’s working well and identify specific actions the team may take to improve. After reviewing data from the previous iteration, the team identifies a small number of concrete actions that they can attempt with the next iteration. The goal of the meeting is to drive continuous improvement of the team’s way of working.

Resources

Previous Next
Related
Recommended