Is anyone out there using microsoft sql express 2005 with an appian installation

Is anyone out there using microsoft sql express 2005 with an appian installation of v7.2?
I could use some help or pointers with the ds config. It will not honor the example on the installation docs or the version I had working for 6.7.
Thanks, James...

OriginalPostID-79072

OriginalPostID-79072

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• its all about the connection, that's for sure.
    Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to the host //LNNOIS009., port 1433 ha
    s failed. Error: "null. Verify the connection properties, check that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host an
    d accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and that no firewall is blocking TCP connections to the port.".
    I am certain it is how you instruct the host I just can't find the correct setting. Currently defined as:
    <xa-datasource-property name="ServerName">//LNNOIS.\\\\SQLEXPRESS</xa-datasource-property>
    Since I have been though this pain before I am certain the server is accepting connections and there are no firewall issues. the tcp/ip port for the sql server is set to 1433. I will persevere!
  • Well after pawing over 20 different sites and plenty of trial and error I have found something that works: xa config:

<xa-datasource
    jndi-name="jdbc/Appian_LNNOIS_Primary"
    pool-name="Appian_LNNOIS_Primary.pool"
    use-java-context="false">
    <xa-datasource-property name="URL">jdbc:sqlserver://LNNOIS:1433;instanceName=./SQLEXPRESS;databaseName=Appian_LNNOIS_Primary;integrated=false</xa-datasource-property>
    <driver>com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc</driver>
    <xa-datasource-class>com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXADataSource</xa-datasource-class>
    <security>
    <user-name>***</user-name>
    <password>***</password>
    </security>
    <transaction-isolation>TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED</transaction-isolation>
    <xa-pool>
    <min-pool-size>5</min-pool-size>
    <max-pool-size>100</max-pool-size>
    </xa-pool>
    <timeout>
    <blocking-timeout-millis>5000</blocking-timeout-millis>
    <idle-timeout-minutes>5</idle-timeout-minutes>
    </timeout>
    </xa-datasource>

Unfortunately there does appear to be an error reported in jboss but appian is now running. Error:

11:46:18,956 WARN [com.arjuna.ats.jta] (Periodic Recovery) ARJUNA016027: Local XARecoveryModule.xaRecovery got XA excep
    tion XAException.XAER_RMERR: javax.transaction.xa.XAException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Failed t
    o create the XA control connection. Error: "Could not find stored procedure 'master..xp_sqljdbc_xa_init_ex'."
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXAResource.DTC_XA_Interface(SQLServerXAResource.java:642)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXAResource.recover(SQLServerXAResource.java:723)
    at org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.xa.XAManagedConnection.recover(XAManagedConnection.java:358)
    at org.jboss.jca.core.tx.jbossts.XAResourceWrapperImpl.recover(XAResourceWrapperImpl.java:162)
    at com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule.xaRecovery(XARecoveryModule.java:503) [jboss
    jts-4.16.2.Final.jar:]
    at com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule.resourceInitiatedRecoveryForRecoveryHelpers(
    XARecoveryModule.java:471) [jbossjts-4.16.2.Final.jar:]
    at com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule.bottomUpRecovery(XARecoveryModule.java:385)
    [jbossjts-4.16.2.Final.jar:]
    at com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule.periodicWorkSecondPass(XARecoveryModule.java
    :166) [jbossjts-4.16.2.Final.jar:]
    at com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.recovery.PeriodicRecovery.doWorkInternal(PeriodicRecovery.java:789) [jbossjts-
    4.16.2.Final.jar:]
    at com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.recovery.PeriodicRecovery.run(PeriodicRecovery.java:371) [jbossjts-4.16.2.Fina
    l.jar:]

Not sure if this is terminal at this point, perhaps someone can confirm or recommend best action.
    Thanks for the pointers Sathya!
  • I've seen this error w.r.t Oracle. I believe it's the same with Sql Server as well. This has to do with providing the correct Grant privileges to the user whome you're connecting as. The SP_ is probably there already but the user probably doesn't have the correct permission to access it. This is not fatal (as far as I've seen) but if this is your local server instance, you may want to Grant the privileges and see if that resolves the issue.
  • Hi Sathya,
    Found the solution. You need to resolve the Microsoft SQL server installation to accept XA distributed transactions.
    Fond this article to be incredibly helpful: blogs.adobe.com/.../enabling-xa-transactions-in-sql-server-2008-for-adep-interactive-statements.html
    Hopefully others can benefit from this or update the documentation to include something similar.
    Thanks,
    James