Cannot start app server in 19.1

I'm upgrading appian from 18.3 to 19.1 and have made all required changes however when i try to start the appserver it creates a new folder in the default appian log directory called "tomcat" but there are no logs in that folder.  Previous release did have tomcat-stdout.log file that contained logs for the tomcat server has any one else run into this issue?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Ankur,

Hope so you are doing fine, thank you for your reply.

I have placed the following connector jars in the (repo\appian\tomcat\apache-tomcat\lib)

mysql-connector-java-5.1.47

mysql-connector-java-5.1.47-bin

mysql-connector-java-8.0.11

mysql-connector-java-8.0.16

------------------------------------

I am trying to install appian server but having difficulty with configuring the MySql connection can you kindly tell me what is JNDI? what do I need to put in .xml file 

e.g: 

for tomcat.resource.xml

what should be the name? here (<Resource name="jdbc/") what should be after jdbc/ should it be the schema name? e.g appian_schema I created in MySql server ->  (<Resource name="jdbc/appian_schema") or it should be something else?

-------------------------------------------------------------

what should be in url after port/

is this the correct url? if I my sql servr is on local machine and the schema is appian_schema

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/appian_schema?useOldAliasMetadataBehavior=true&amp;useServerPrepStmts=true"

---------------------------------------

and for custom.properties.dev file, should the data source look like this?

conf.data.datasources=appian_schema 

I am new to appian and need to set a an appian server on my local machine, I am setting up server for first time, kindly help me out.

Any help would be really appreciated 

Thank you

• Looks like you are installing appian and all components on a single server i would suggest you follow the steps mentioned here https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/19.2/Quick_Start_Installation_Guide.html and refer to this post if you encounter any issues.

conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=jdbc/AppianDS --- AppianDS is the jndi name specified in Resource name="jdbc/xxx" in tomact resource.xml

Your datasource url should be jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/business_schema( name of businessschema)?useOldAliasMetadataBehavior=true

• Thank you for your reply and helping me out with the connection string and JNDI.

I am already using that "Quick Start Installation Guide" and I have only followed that instruction guide for setting up Appian server but still facing error. 

This is the error in the log file

SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.ConnectionPool.init Unable to create initial connections of pool.
     java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO)
  • here is the link to my tomcat log file, all services start without any issues, the only issue I am facing is with the Tomcat server, its not getting started

community.appian.com/.../0118.tomcat_2D00_stdOut.log

• What is the version of mysql and the connectors you are using? I had issues with latest mysql version on appian they are not always supported. I have mysql-installer-community-8.0.15.0 , mysql-workbench-community-8.0.15 and mysql-connector-java-5.1.47 and is works fine on 19.2