Update User profile smart service failing because the user's supervisor is not longer active

We are on Appian 17.3. 

We have a daily sync process where we use the LDAP Synchronization plugin to retrieve data from Active Directory. We are enhancing the process just now to maintain the supervisor field updated as well. Say the process ran 2 weeks ago and User A was assigned Supervisor A. Today Supervisor A gets deactivated so User A has no supervisor for a day or so. When Appian attempts to call the update user profile smart service, it is failing and I realize it is explained here: https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/18.2/Update_User_Profile_Smart_Service.html with the note If the user selected for the Supervisor field has been deactivated since the profile was last updated, an error is thrown and the process pauses by exception until a valid user or no user is entered for the field.

My question is how do I solve this? My rule is returning NULL for the supervisor for User A and I would like for the smart service to update the Supervisor field to NULL. Why can't it to that? What are my options? I don't want manual intervention since the one of the purposes of Appian is to automate processes. Thoughts?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible