Ways to import users into Appian?

Hi guys,

currently I use the cloud instance with no VPN connection to any AD/LDAP directory.

How can users be imported into cloud instance anyway?
Via DB import/export or any service?

What is the prefered way to choose?

Thank you for your support,
Chris

OriginalPostID-260189

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @poornah: how do I extract the CSV file? Is there any function or expression doing this? Thank you for your ideas and precious time.
  • Question here: Do you want to export the users from another environment? through Appian? from LDAP?
  • Another Question: How are you going to maintain the password? Because, Appian won't allow you to export the password.
  • Well, poornah, there are two scenarios:
    1. export users from AD/LDAP (into csv file)
    2. export users from local/on-premise Appian. But how? Recommended?

Exporting the password wouldn't be an issue if exported the hash or encrypted value, correct?

Thanks
  • Chris, please find the below steps for both of the approaches:
    1. LDAP - if you have already a system/environment which has LDAP Sync, then you may not need the export of users. You need to create a process model (at the desired environment) with the LDAP Sync smart service configured to run based on the LDAP system. It will serve the purpose you need. And there won't be any password issues I believe.
    Follow the below link for LDAP Smart Service: forum.appian.com/.../summary
    2. Export Users from Appian - For this, In the existing environment:
    a. Create an Expression rule that fetches the list of unique users/usernames (irrespective of group) that are there in the environment using the logic - load(
    local!usernames: apply(getgroupmemberuserspaging(_,1,-1),getallgroups(-1,1)),
    union(local!usernames,local!usernames)
    ). You may need to embed your business logic if you want to restrict the users list or you want list of users from particular groups of the environments or so. Make a note that Appian won't allow you export the password from Designer mode for sure.
    b. Then create a process model that can export the above extracted list of users/usernames into a CSV using the suitable smart service from the shared component Excel Tools. Please refer to below link for the shared component: forum.appian.com/.../summary
    c. Download/do Save As the generated Excel document and verify the same by opening it
    d. Now, upload the above CSV document onto the Target environment.
    e. Create a process model which contains the Read Excel smart service (which actually works for CSV document as well) and configure the above uploaded document and then configure in such a way that it extracts the column data (that contains the list of usernames) into a PV. Remove nulls/spaces if any.
    7. And now, configure the smart service - Add user (Under Identity Managment in the Palette in Process Modeler) - that comes with the product itself (I mean it is not a shared component) and configure MNI on the smart service in such a way that it will be executed as many times as the length of the PV created above (make sure to add a default password).
    And you are done :)

By this time, you will be able to see the list of users under People tab and also you can add them to the respective groups which already exist or which can be imported through an application/ a patch.

Hope this helps!!
  • Hello poornah, that really helps! Thank you for your detailed tutorial and your great support :-).
    Now I see how Appian works and how to approach to a solution. You made it, I have got no questions left ;-).
    Many thanks