recovering application deleted by mistake

Hello everybody,

I have the following scenario:

- developed MyApplication
- run backup procedure as described here
- by mistake, deleted the whole MyApplication

My problem is: I followed the steps of recovering as described here  but I did not retrieve the original MyApplication: why?

Do you have any idea about?

Thanks in advance for any clarification or hint.

Regards,

Paolo

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer
    , Once the object is deleted it can't be restored.(It's a permanent delete).

In your case, If you have deleted your application object alone, the referenced objects(rules,interfaces,PMs, etc...) will be available under Run time data view. Again you can add those objects by creating new application.
  • Hi Paolo,
    Please read the below warning which shows while you delete an application:
    WARNING: You are about to permanently delete the selected application from the system! (Items associated with the application will not be deleted).

Hope this clarifies clearly.
  • Thank you for your answer.

Anyway, this time I deleted purposefully two of four components of my dummy application (of course after backup)
    Unfortunately after restoring, I could not recover any of components.

So my question is: what the backup/recover procedure is used for?
    Is it useful for recovering after loss of components/application? or for what else?

Thanks for any reply.
    Best regards,
    Paolo
  • +1
    Appian Employee
    in reply to paolos
    If followed correctly, the backup/restore procedure will restore your environment to the exact state it was in at the time of the backup. This, of course, includes any objects that were present at the time of the backup. I suspect that you may have made a mistake when implementing the backup and/or recovery steps. (For example, maybe the kdbs weren't renamed as part of the recovery procedure. Or maybe the copy operation failed, but went unnoticed.)
  • HI Eliot, Agree with you. But i believe this process is for cloud customers. How about on-premise instances?

Also a question on process instances!! If werestore the appian system say back to a day, will it effect anything to the running process model instances. Especially the process instances triggered of newly deployed process models in between the restoring time to the current time.
  • The instructions in the documentation are for on-premise customers. For cloud customers, server administration is handled by Appian, so those instructions aren't applicable.

As to your second question, the intent of a backup is to create a point-in-time snapshot of your environment. Restoring from the backup will result in an environment that is exactly the same as it was at that point in time. So, if at the time I create the backup, I have three process instances in existence on my system, when I restore, I will have those same three process instances (and no others). And those process instances will be in whatever state they were in when I did the backup.
  • Thanks Eliot. That helps in understanding. But sorry, I am still huting for an answer to the second one.

Let us take a scenario which could happen in production. I have taken a back up today at 3 PM for prod site and deployed/Published some new versions of existing process models at 5PM. Now, end users triggered the process (newly published version) and the instances are inflight. Now, say at 7PM, due to some unknown reason (not because of the newly deployed process models) the environment is not behaving as expected and i wish to restore back to the latest restoration point i.e., 3 PM. So, now what happens to these inflight process model instances as if we do restore the newly deployed process model version will be rolled back...!
  • Because the instances did not exist when the backup was created at 3pm, they will not exist once you restore the backup.