Unable to start search server

Hello,

recently i started with deploying appian on-premise installation on windows server. I was able to start appian services but i have problem with starting search-server. This is output from log file:

[2017-11-08 09:05:03,430][INFO ][com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeInit] JVM Version: 1.8.0_144
[2017-11-08 09:05:03,430][INFO ][com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeInit] JVM Arguments:
-Xms1024m
-Xmx1024m
-XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75
-XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly
-Djava.awt.headless=true
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
-Duser.timezone=GMT
-DAPPIAN_HOME=..\..
[2017-11-08 09:05:03,445][INFO ][com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeInit] The following settings will be used to start the ElasticSearch node:
path.home=C:\appian/search-server
path.conf=C:\appian/search-server/conf
path.plugins=C:\appian/search-server/plugins
path.data=C:\appian/_admin/search-local/search-server/data
path.work=C:\appian/_admin/search-local/search-server/work
path.logs=C:\appian/logs/search-server
http.enabled=true
action.auto_create_index=false
index.mapper.dynamic=false
discovery.zen.ping.multicast.enabled=false
threadpool.bulk.queue_size=500
indices.fielddata.cache.size=15%
index.max_result_window=100000
index.search.slowlog.threshold.query.warn=500ms
index.search.slowlog.threshold.query.info=100ms
index.search.slowlog.threshold.fetch.warn=500ms
index.search.slowlog.threshold.fetch.info=100ms
index.indexing.slowlog.threshold.index.warn=500ms
index.indexing.slowlog.threshold.index.info=100ms
index.number_of_replicas=0
discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes=1
cluster.name=appian-search-cluster
[2017-11-08 09:05:03,445][INFO ][com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeInit] Attempting initialization of ElasticSearch node on localhost:9300.
[2017-11-08 09:05:03,602][INFO ][org.elasticsearch.node ] [Node localhost:9300] version[2.4.5], pid[8952], build[c849dd1/2017-04-24T16:18:17Z]
[2017-11-08 09:05:03,602][INFO ][org.elasticsearch.node ] [Node localhost:9300] initializing ...
[2017-11-08 09:05:03,602][DEBUG][org.elasticsearch.node ] [Node localhost:9300] using config [C:\appian\search-server\conf], data [[C:\appian\_admin\search-local\search-server\data]], logs [C:\appian\logs\search-server], plugins [C:\appian\search-server\plugins]
[2017-11-08 09:05:03,602][INFO ][com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeInit] Failed to initialize ElasticSearch node on port 9300. If other ports for this host are specified in appian-topology.xml, those will be tried as well.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not load plugin descriptor for existing plugin [appian-elasticsearch-auth]. Was the plugin built before 2.0?
at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.getPluginBundles(PluginsService.java:380)
at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.<init>(PluginsService.java:128)
at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:158)
at com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeWithPlugins.<init>(NodeWithPlugins.java:14)
at com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeInit.buildAndStartNode(NodeInit.java:328)
at com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeInit.init(NodeInit.java:149)
at com.appian.es.bootstrap.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:62)
Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\appian\search-server\plugins\appian-elasticsearch-auth\plugin-descriptor.properties
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:79)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:97)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:102)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:230)
at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:361)
at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:407)
at java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newInputStream(FileSystemProvider.java:384)
at java.nio.file.Files.newInputStream(Files.java:152)
at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginInfo.readFromProperties(PluginInfo.java:87)
at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.getPluginBundles(PluginsService.java:378)
... 6 more
[2017-11-08 09:05:03,622][ERROR][com.appian.es.bootstrap.Bootstrap] An unexpected error occurred.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to initialize ElasticSearch node on any of the specified ports.
at com.appian.es.bootstrap.NodeInit.init(NodeInit.java:162)
at com.appian.es.bootstrap.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:62)

I checked plugins directory and there is empty folder for appian-elasticsearch-auth. May this cause the problem? If yes why it is empty and how can I solve this?

Thanks 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Erik,

Did you apply a hotfix prior to attempting to start the search server? Please reapply the hotfix with the following steps, paying special attention to step 4:

1. Stop Appian.
    1.1 Shut down the application server.
    1.2 Shut down the search server.
    1.3 Shutdown all Appian Engines, ensuring that the engines are checkpointed upon shutdown.
    2. Back up your existing Appian instance. See Backing Up Your Existing Appian Instance for instructions
    3. If you are running JBoss, delete the folder /standalone/tmp/work/jboss.web/default-host/suite(including all subfolders) to clear the application server's JSP cache.
    4. Delete the search engine folder /_admin/search-local/search-server.
    5. Unzip the contents of the zip archive into your APPIAN_HOME directory.
    6. Run the deleteFiles.sh (.bat) script that is now located in your APPIAN_HOME directory.
    7. Unzip the contents of the updates.zip archive that is now located in your APPIAN_HOME directory.
    8. Delete deleteFiles.sh and updates.zip.
    9. Delete the <APPIAN_HOME>/search-server/plugins/appian-elasticsearch-auth directory and its contents.
    10. If you are using a Web server, copy the content of /ear/suite.ear to the folder where the Web server is getting the static resources.
    11. Start Appian:
    11.1 Start the Appian Engines.
    11.2 Start the search server.
    11.3 Start the application server.

Best,
    Jussi

• Hi Jussi,

I just wanted to chime in and say that I took the 17.1 Hotfix I into our non-production domain yesterday evening and have a case open for the same problem. I've attempted to reapply the hotfix using the added steps (3 and 4) above but to no avail. Our log entries are identical.
Reply Children