Bulk upload beta test users

I have a large list of users that I need to add as users in our test environment.  Is there a good way to perform this bulk upload?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi David,

There are a couple of approaches you might take. Here is one example using Excel Tools and the "Add User" node.

Basically all you'd be doing is building a utility Process Model to handle this with a few steps.

1. Pull the list of users from somewhere (either parse from an excel document using the "Parse Excel to CDT" Smart Service that comes with the Excel Tools plugin, or query from a database table in a script task). For this you will need to make some kind of CDT, let's call it the "bulkUser" CDT. Once you pull in your data in the first node you will have a Process Variable with the data (of type 'bulkUser' and with the multiple checkbox checked). Make sure this CDT has the required fields of 'First Name', 'Last Name', 'Email,' and 'Username'.
    2. In the "Add User" Smart Service, you will want to pull the values out of your Process Variable and use them to create users. Use MNI (Multiple Node Instances) to loop over your list. In the actual "username" field, for example, you might have something like 'pv!bulkUser[tp!instanceindex].username', where the "tp!instanceindex" is kind of like 'i' in a for loop.

Hope this helps!

• Just to add some additional detail, you can only use MNI if the total number of users you are creating is < 1000, otherwise you will have to have some kind of batching solution (i.e. a loop in the Process Model, batched queries, or just manually batching if that's easier).

The documentation for MNI is below:
    docs.appian.com/.../Multiple_Node_Instances.html
  • You can hit a node more than 1000 times if you select to delete previous instances in the other tab, although I don't recommend that.
Reply Children
No Data