Nick name in Appian user object

Hi guys,

When create a new user using the Add user smart service, we can provide the Nick name of the user. However, the "Update User Profile Smart Service" does not provide a way to change its Nick name??

Anyone knows how to change the user's nick name in Appian?

Thanks!

Will

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Will,
    I think as of now we don't have any out of the box functionality to update the User Nickname, but the end user can always update the Nickname from his/her Edit Profile section.
  • Hi Will Teoh,
    I agree with chandu, we don't change user nick name using "update user profile smart service". Only one way to change nick name like goto profile and click edit profile button then change your nick name.
    Certified Lead Developer

My current project requires that we lock down the "Edit Profile" functionality since most user information is derived from an Active Directory configuration - everything really except Nickname, which could just as well be unique to Appian.  However, there is no way to allow Nickname to remain editable by the end user when they can't edit their other name fields (why?). 

Then I had the idea to provide the users a simple related action by which they can set their own nickname -- but none of the Update User smart services allow updating of this field either (why?) -- so basically we're stuck, unless someone's written a plugin to handle this functionality that should obviously have been included in one of the OOB features...

Retrospective edit (2022-08-29) - sometime in the last 2 1/2 years (along with other world-changing events of course), the "Update User Profile" Smart Service (as well as a!updateUserProfile()) seem to have been quietly updated to now include a "nickname" parameter, filling this apparent functional gap.