Custom URL to access outside the system on Non-Production set-up

Hi All,

I have installed a local installation of a Non Production environment. The environment is up and running on a temporary licence for now (awaiting a perm lic from Appian). I have followed on the basic instructions to set up this environment on my local machine, not connected to a domain ( I used the loopback address as fqdn - 127.0.0.1). I am able to open the consoles after the startup of the instance with link http://127.0.0.1/suite/tempo but would like to know if I can do something that I can use this instance even from outside the network. I want to set up a custom URL like (http://www.exampleabc.com:8080/suite/tempo) . I need this set up, because since I am not connected to a domain, whenever I change my laptop to different network, the instance may not work, because of the new IP address. To avoid this, I'll leave my laptop turned on and access the instance from outside the network when needed. 

Please advice or guide on the above query.

Regards,

Hemanth

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Hemanth,

You need to modify hosts file to add FQDN entry.
    if you hosting Appian on windows, need to add the hosts entry:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
    When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
    In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    Click Open.

On Linux:
    Similar way you can add entry by modifying file
    /etc/hosts in linux.

Then, update custom.properties file for FQDN. You may need to obtain appian license beforehand running the licinfo filie.

conf.suite.SERVER_AND_PORT=www.exampleabc.com:8080

Thanks.
  • Hi ,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'll try your instructions by adding host entries in my hosts file and try to access the system from outside the network and different computer. Hope this works for me.

Thanks,
    Hemanth
Reply Children
No Data