too big kdb file in Exec Engine

Certified Lead Developer

Hi all,

One of our Process Exec engines does not start and it is too big. Because of that the development Environment is not usable. You can see in the screenshot attached that the .kdb file is around 6 GB

Do you know what can we do? can we delete the file as this is the development Environment we dont mind if we lose instances but we dont want to lose imporant stuff such as process models.

We are using appian 7.9

Many thanks!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Deleting the kdb file is not supported and may cause severe problems with the environment.

The screenshot you attached appears to show a 448MB kdb, not a 6GB kdb.

If you think the problem is that you have insufficient memory to start that engine, you should follow the troubleshooting steps outlined in the Knowledge Base article here: community.appian.com/.../kb-1214-fatal-a-db-error-loading-kdb-xxxx-kdb-wsfull-error-thrown-in-db_5f00_-log-when-attempting-to-start-appian-engines

Once the environment has started correctly, you can take steps to reduce the memory footprint of the execution engine by archiving or deleting processes. (See docs.appian.com/.../Archiving_Processes.html for more information).
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Eliot Gerson
    Thanks Vishnuv and Eliot for your answers. I dont have access to the environment today but I will provide logs on monday.
    I have asked the administrator to place back the kdb file. By mistake I placed the wrong screenshot but I remember the kdb was bigger than 6 GB for ProcessExec01. Eliot, the link provided suggests the following:

"Ensure there is sufficient free memory available, then attempt to restart the problematic engine"

But we cant ensure that there is 6 GB available just for this engine. What can we do with such a big .kdb file?
  • As noted in the Knowledge Base article, there needs to be sufficient memory. It's not possible to start the engine without using memory.

If you don't have sufficient memory to start the engine, even without starting the other execution engines, you may need to add additional memory.

One temporary way to do so could be to increase the amount of swap space. While this would likely make things really slow, and is not a configuration that I would recommend keeping beyond the time needed to troubleshoot the issue, it would potentially give you more resources to use for loading the kdb. Once the environment was up and running, you could then archive or delete processes to reduce the memory footprint, stop the engines, change the swap space configuration back to normal, and then start everything back up again.
  • As noted in the Knowledge Base article, there needs to be sufficient memory. It's not possible to start the engine without using memory.

If you don't have sufficient memory to start the engine, even without starting the other execution engines, you may need to add additional memory.

One temporary way to do so could be to increase the amount of swap space. While this would likely make things really slow, and is not a configuration that I would recommend keeping beyond the time needed to troubleshoot the issue, it would potentially give you more resources to use for loading the kdb. Once the environment was up and running, you could then archive or delete processes to reduce the memory footprint, stop the engines, change the swap space configuration back to normal, and then start everything back up again.
Children