Running Appian 7.2 on Weblogic 12.1.1, I'm finding I'm running out of Pe

Running Appian 7.2 on Weblogic 12.1.1, I'm finding I'm running out of PermGen space.
The Weblogic section of the Appian 7.3 installation doc recommends: -XX:MaxPermSize=192m
I was already running at -XX:MaxPermSize=256m and have now increased to -XX:MaxPermSize=512m to see if this fixes the problem.
Has anyone else seen this?

One thing I noticed was that importing a new version of an application caused a steep increase in PermGen usage.
#weblogic #jvm...

OriginalPostID-89353

OriginalPostID-89353

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Depending on the needs of the environment it can be possible a need for increasing the memory arguments of the JVM. By default Appian used to ship JBoss with

set USER_MEM_ARGS=-Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

so it seems the Weblogic documentation is not up to date in terms of the initial memory settings. This are just initial settings that can be adjusted depending on the needs of the system.

Keep in mind that importing applications is indeed high in resources which means it is better if this is scheduled to happen outside business hours so you don't combine the regular load with the import which can definitely make evident a need for adjusting these settings. Due to the nature of the import, it's expected that you see the usage of the JVM memory sections increase but they will eventually be subject to garbage collection; however adjusting these values to a decent start point is a good way to guarantee the garbage collection will still have time to run before you face the issue you saw.

Based on the fact that even the JBoss instance Appian used to include had this setting at 256m definitely going from 192m to 512m was a good decision.
  • Depending on the needs of the environment it can be possible a need for increasing the memory arguments of the JVM. By default Appian used to ship JBoss with

set USER_MEM_ARGS=-Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

so it seems the Weblogic documentation is not up to date in terms of the initial memory settings. This are just initial settings that can be adjusted depending on the needs of the system.

Keep in mind that importing applications is indeed high in resources which means it is better if this is scheduled to happen outside business hours so you don't combine the regular load with the import which can definitely make evident a need for adjusting these settings. Due to the nature of the import, it's expected that you see the usage of the JVM memory sections increase but they will eventually be subject to garbage collection; however adjusting these values to a decent start point is a good way to guarantee the garbage collection will still have time to run before you face the issue you saw.

Based on the fact that even the JBoss instance Appian used to include had this setting at 256m definitely going from 192m to 512m was a good decision.
Children
No Data