Connect to Appian On Premise Web Server From Mobile

Certified Lead Developer

Hi All,

Has anyone tried connecting to Appian On Premise Server from a mobile app?

If yes, could you please share the steps followed for the same and any special applications and software requirements?

Thanks.

Hitesh

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi,

First: it is possible and working.
    But .. it depends what components are used in your infrastructure. I assume you have a DMZ zone and internal network.
    To be more specific in an answer, we need to know, in which zone is the Appian Platform located, where are the web servers / load balancer
    and what kind of authentication method is used (form based, SSO with SAML and Identity Provider).
    To clarify how you secure the access is one of the important steps for such an implementation. Do you plan with Form Based Authentication securing
    with 2-factor authentication or does your company already has an Identity Manager Provider in place? Or are you going to wrap the native Appian app with Blueberry or Maas360 to tunnel into the internal network?

Those questions have to be elaborated first prior to selecting software products.

Hope that helps as a starting point.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to juergeng393

Thanks for the quick response. I would start with the above points and explore further.

One more question: We connect to the Client VPN using 'Cisco Any Connect' from the desktop and access the appian web url.

We have a mobile version of 'Cisco Any Connect' as well. Can this be actually used to access the on premise server via Appian Mobile App as well by some means? This may be an invalid question but just a doubt:)

Thanks.

Hitesh

• I glanced through the documentation: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect41/administration/guide/b_AnyConnect_Administrator_Guide_4-1/anyconnect-mobile-devices.html

and I think it is possible to establish a VPN tunnel for the Appian native app. There will be a managed environment necessary to do so according to the documentation:

AnyConnect allows the set of apps defined by the administrator on the headend. This list is defined using the ASA Custom Attributes mechanism. This list is sent to the AnyConnect client, and enforced on the device. For all other apps, data is sent outside of the tunnel or in the clear.

On Apple iOS, a managed environment is required to run in this mode

You might reach out to your network folks to verify the details.