Hi .. i am installing Appian 7.5 with jboss 6.2 and MySQL. Appian engines succes

Hi .. i am installing Appian 7.5 with jboss 6.2 and MySQL. Appian engines successfully got started but while starting Jboss i got some error.

It seems like a port conflict. Several other applications are running in the same machine which i cannot not interfere with.

Please someone help me with the below questions:
1) Is it advisable to change the default port ?
2) Where to change the default port for jboss.
3) Recommended alternative port (so that future applications dont have any conflicts)

Attaching the jboss server log....

Jboss Server Log.txt

OriginalPostID-111668

OriginalPostID-111668

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hello Kumaravel,

1) You should be able to change the default port for Jboss EAP 6.2 (From 8080 to a different port)

2) I see the following error in the log you attached:
    Error initializing endpoint: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind /0.0.0.0:8080
    It seems like there is a different application already using port 8080.

To change the default port for Jboss EAP 6.2, you can change the following line in standalone.xml:

<socket-binding-group name="standard-sockets" default-interface="public" port-offset="${jboss.socket.binding.port-offset:0}">

TO:
    <socket-binding-group name="standard-sockets" default-interface="public" port-offset="${jboss.socket.binding.port-offset:100}">

If you set the offset paramter to 100, Jboss will use port 8180 instead of 8080.

3) You can use any open port, apart from 0-1023 (well known ports), as long as it is not being used by any other application.
  • Thanks a lot Alok. I changed the port from 8080 to 8081 in line <socket-binding name="http" port="8081"/> located in "C:\\jboss-eap-6.2\\standalone\\configuration\\standalone.xml". And everything working fine now. Is it fine to let it remain the same way or you would suggest to change the offset parameter instead ?
  • Hi Kumaravel,

That should work too.

However, note that the change you made will only change the default http port for Jboss from 8080 to something else, whereas the offset parameter will offset some other ports in Jboss (you can compare the startup log from both to check the other ports offsetted by Jboss). Using the Offset paramter will also allow you to run multiple instances of Jboss (if needed), without running into any port conflicts.

Another advantage of using the offset parameter is that you can add it pass it as a parameter to the standalone.bat|sh script. That way you can have a customized standalone.bat|sh script and you do not have to modify the file.

You can start Jboss using:
    c:\\<JBOSS_HOME>\\bin> standalone.bat -Djboss.socket.binding.port-offset=100
  • Thanks for the information Alok. Will configure this way.