Filter logs by application

Certified Lead Developer

Is there a way to filter the system logs by application?

The use case is as follows: Our client has a ton of applications in their environment but they would like to consume/analyze the logs externally (using logstash for example) just for one specific application. That includes all types of logs (record usage, user login, design errors, etc.), not just one specific type (although I would think not all are applicable to be filtered).

Any thoughts around this?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer

I can't think of anything that wouldn't require either a) multiple environments (which i already assume you don't want or can't do), or b) lots of manual work to parse and then store log data locally.

For b, what I mean is: for our error message log file, I built a process that manually reads the CSV, parses it into a CDT, then stores it in our DB.  This enables me to have a site tab on our admin team site, where you can just type in the error message UUID (or any part of the error message, or user) and pull up the relevant error message.  These could likely be further parsed by application depending on the naming conventions used, or some other similar way.  But like I said it's a lot of front-end work to set up, and that's just for one log file.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

Thanks a lot for your detailed response Mike!

Reply Children
No Data