I am working on possible backout step if my upgrade from 6.7.1 to 7.2 goes awry.

I am working on possible backout step if my upgrade from 6.7.1 to 7.2 goes awry. I am planning on creating a tape backup of the server and a full database backup as well. I assume this will be time consuming especially the tape backup but should work.

I also saw that instead, I could rename the folders (old appian) to Appian, and rename the 7.2 instance to Appian7.2
Also will have to mess with the enviornment variables, uninstall Java 7 and install Java 6 and uninstall the JBoss 6.1.0.
Is there anything else I may have to do under this scenario not resorting to backup tapes. Anything with the database (I didn't see anything with new tables, etc, but not sure what exactly the Appian installation does).

Thanks,...

OriginalPostID-119753

OriginalPostID-119753

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Yeah I know, when I started supporting Appian in April (other person left the company) the latest version was 7.4, but there is some uneasyness in my organization to go to the latest version and like to be on a "mature" version of Appian. I was thinking 7.3 at the time, but the agreed version was 7.2 for the project so it was already decided before I took over. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have pushed for that version.

So your next question is why is it taking so long. I went on vacation for 5 weeks in June and there is a series of other things that prevented this going sooner (some scope creep on security hardening, testing, etc) If I go to 7.6 today, that would mean doing it from my 7.2 instance in dev, and not in 7.2 in prod and that is risky (can you tell we are very risk adverse).
  • Yeah I know, when I started supporting Appian in April (other person left the company) the latest version was 7.4, but there is some uneasyness in my organization to go to the latest version and like to be on a "mature" version of Appian. I was thinking 7.3 at the time, but the agreed version was 7.2 for the project so it was already decided before I took over. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have pushed for that version.

So your next question is why is it taking so long. I went on vacation for 5 weeks in June and there is a series of other things that prevented this going sooner (some scope creep on security hardening, testing, etc) If I go to 7.6 today, that would mean doing it from my 7.2 instance in dev, and not in 7.2 in prod and that is risky (can you tell we are very risk adverse).
Children
No Data