Process Upgrade Guidance

Certified Associate Developer

I want to know what is the most effective strategy to handle old production processes that were designed with a methodology that involves extensive and long-lasting processes. In addition, we face numerous PRO issues that require quick solutions from the support team. Simultaneously, improvements are being made to extend or enhance the functionality of these processes. However, problems arise when we have to solve an issue that involves the modification of objects that are also being altered in the enhancements and are not yet stable. Another challenge is managing active instances with old versions of the flow; when trying to implement a new version of the process, conflicts can arise due to incompatibility between the old version of the instance and the new version of the process. Appian suggests a method in their documentation, but I find it has several limitations. I am interested to know how they handle these situations in other projects to learn from the best practices applied.

docs.appian.com/.../Process_Upgrade.html

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Stefan Helzle

What you suggest doesn't seem to solve my problem. Imagine that I am working on the evolution of process 1 in the development environment and my team is in the middle of this development. Simultaneously, the support team receives an urgent issue in the production environment that requires modifications to process 1. It is not possible to deploy process 1 and its dependent objects to production because they include changes that could negatively impact the current operation in that environment.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Raúl Gómez Moya

I hot-fix urgent PROD problems on PRE-PROD which has the same code version as PROD. Then deploy that to PROD and add a user story to finally fix it on DEV.

Issues with active instances are somehow managed on PROD, depending on the issue.

Issues that are not urgent, are just added to the normal development cycle and to be developed & deployed ASAP.

If this still does not fit your situation, then please help me to better understand it.