Just completed a fresh install of 7.8 on my sandbox (using VMWare). Database sta

Just completed a fresh install of 7.8 on my sandbox (using VMWare). Database starts up, Appian suite engines seem to start up (i.e. no errors)..so far so good. I start JBoss and it begins the process but then I get the following error:
Error occurred during initialization of VM Could not reserve enough space for object heap

I was thinking I just needed to add some heap space to the JVM but then my spidey-sense tells me that on an initial install with a vanilla config there might be more to it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My system details:
Win7
JBoss 6.3 EAP
Oracle XE 11g
JDK 1.7.0_71
Everything running on VMware Fusion 7.1.0 (for what it's worth)

I also included a screen shot of the console running JBoss.

..and yes, I am an Appian newbie... :)...

OriginalPostID-135450

OriginalPostID-135450

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• 1. Is there adequate free memory on the VM for JBoss to start?
    2. Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit JDK?
  • I did check the JDK and it is 64-bit. I reviewed a few similar threads as well as the system requirements and it turned out to be there wasn't enough RAM on my VM. I upped the RAM and also doubled the values for ms, mx, PermSize and MaxPermSize in my JBoss standalone.conf file and I got past this issue..JBoss starts now.

I'm having some new issues with my system but I think it's because I missed a few steps when setting up the datasources which I am reviewing now and will post under a new topic if I can't resolve.

Thanks!
  • How much RAM do you have on your box? With the current JVM settings, 4GB box would be to small to initialize it, especially if you have kicked off your engines already.
  • I upped the RAM on the VM to 4GB. I am getting some issues with JBoss startup even though I got past the initial issue. Are you suggesting that I up the RAM further? I have the capacity on my host system if need be I just tend to be cautious with VMWare when adding too much.

Thoughts?
  • Unless you lower your JVM settings, 4GBs are not going to be enough. OS + 2GB min heap + perm gen space + Appian engines. You can try setting initial heap size to 1GB.
    Any particular reason for the caution?
  • Gotcha..so I cranked up my VM RAM to 8GB and restarted everything. DB and Appian start just fine. After I started the Appian suite I ran checkengine.bat and everything came up "okay". My problem seems to be with JBoss. It starts up OK now but I get errors on the deployment. Right now I am going through the 7.8 install documentation to see what steps I might have missed.

One of the symptoms I am seeing is that when I go to localhost:8080/.../designer I get a login prompt for the XA datasource. (screenshot attached) Which leads me to believe I have something wrong with the datasource authentication config.

Side note: from past experience running VMs I had been advised to only add the minimum RAM and processors. This "less-is-more" approach prevented the VM from causing my host system hard drive to thrash. It was mainly because (in a previous role, with another software package) I was running VMWare Desktop on my laptop with fairly limited resources so I had fine line to walk with respect to tuning things.