I'm trying to do an upgrade from 7.8 to 7.9. I got a clean install of 7.9 ru

Certified Associate Developer
I'm trying to do an upgrade from 7.8 to 7.9. I got a clean install of 7.9 running using the Configure Script then I tried migrating the data from our 7.8 instance into the 7.9 install. I followed the migration guide (forum.appian.com/.../Migration_Guide.html. I got through starting up the engines and the search-sever but can't seem to successfully start the application server. Jboss seems to blow up after it installs the plugins and consistently breaking with the following error.

13:01:56,670 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 78) 2015-05-06 13:01:56,670 [ServerService Thread Pool -- 78] ERROR com.appiancorp.suiteapi.common.TypedValueReturnConverter - Error converting value of type 1780

13:01:56,683 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 78) 2015-05-06 13:01:56,674 [ServerService Thread Pool -- 78] ERROR com.appiancorp.kougar.mapper.returns.MapReturnConverter - MapR...

server.log

OriginalPostID-148090

OriginalPostID-148090

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

...eturnConverter could not convert List to Map

13:01:56,691 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 78) com.appiancorp.kougar.mapper.exceptions.ReturnException: com.appiancorp.suiteapi.type.exceptions.InvalidTypeException: com.appiancorp.suiteapi.common.exceptions.AppianException: Invalid Type: com.appiancorp.kougar.mapper.exceptions.ReturnException: Record value length (4) does not match instance property length (5) unable to convert <[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 4:[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 2:[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 3:[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 0:] ,[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 0:] ,[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 0:] ] ,0] ,null,null,null] > of type <class [Ljava.lang.Object;> to type <class [Ljava.lang.Object;> (APNX-1-4047-000) unable to convert <[collection class java.util.Arrays$ArrayList:[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 3:type,1780,null] [array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length...
    ... 3:name,buttons,null] [array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 3:value,[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 4:[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 2:[array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 3:...,...,...] ,0] ,null,null,null] ,null] [array class [Ljava.lang.Object; length 3:key,buttons,null] ] > of type <class java.util.Arrays$ArrayList> to type <class com.appiancorp.suiteapi.process.TypedVariable>

I'm not sure if there is some other error that I'm overlooking that could be the main cause for Jboss not starting up.

Thank you in advance.
  • The App-server should still have started despite those Errors.

It seems like the App-server deployment failed due to the following error.

############################################
    13:02:56,900 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS013412: Timeout after [300] seconds waiting for service container stability. Operation will roll back. Step that first updated the service container was 'add' at address '[
    ("core-service" => "management"),
    ("management-interface" => "native-interface")
    ]'
    ############################################

In order to fix this, can you please do the following?

Can you temporarily increase the "jboss.as.management.blocking.timeout" timeout from 300 to 1000 and restart Jboss?

(A) File:
    <JBOSS_HOME>\\bin\\standalone.conf.bat

(B) Property:
    set "JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Djboss.as.management.blocking.timeout=300"

TO:
    set "JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Djboss.as.management.blocking.timeout=1000"

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

If it doesn't, can you re-upload the server.log?
  • Hi Alok,
    I'm working with dsmithgxp on this. It still threw the first error but them the service did start. That fix seems to have worked.
    Thank you!
    Jared Wilson
  • I restarted the jboss service again and didn't have either error. Thank you for your help!
  • @ Alok . Can you plese check attached log file. I am getting "The connection manager is shutdown" error

server.log

• The root cause for your issue seems to be that Jboss cannot communicate with the Search Server.

04:07:06,064 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 65) com.appiancorp.suiteapi.common.exceptions.AppianException: The search server cannot be reached. Failed to connect to server at [localhost:9300]. Check that the search server is started. If running multiple application servers, check that appian-topology.xml is properly configured with the search cluster details. The appian-topology.xml file must be distributed to each /ear/suite.ear/conf/ and /search-server/conf/ directory. See documentation for details. (APNX-1-4274-001)
  • Last time I didn't start the search server before jboss, might be that is the reason why that error got logged. I again checked my logs & found the below error

("core-service" => "management"),
    ("management-interface" => "native-interface")

so as suggested by you i went to standalone.conf.bat to change timeout settings but didn't get time out setting attribute so added. but i am still getting the same error.

The server startup is getting stuck on com.appiancorp.applications.ApplicationLoaderConfig - Loading system objects (Line 249)

Please advice..

standalone.conf.bat

server.log

appian-topology.xml

• If you search in your logs you'll see the new timeout setting is not being read:

"Timeout after [300] seconds waiting for service container stability. "

It is still using the 300 seconds limit which is the default.

To address this issue:

1. Stop JBoss
    2. Delete C:\\jboss-eap-6.3\\standalone\\log\\*.log
    3. MANUALLY deploy the attached SUPPORT_standalone.conf.bat under C:\\jboss-eap-6.3\\bin
    4. Rename C:\\jboss-eap-6.3\\bin\\SUPPORT_standalone.conf.bat to standalone.conf.bat
    5. Start JBoss
    6. After the start-up search for jboss.as.management.blocking.timeout in the server.log. You should see this:

jboss.as.management.blocking.timeout=1500

SUPPORT_standalone.conf.bat