I have recently upgraded a 7.11 install to a 16.1 install, and was unable to reu

Certified Lead Developer
I have recently upgraded a 7.11 install to a 16.1 install, and was unable to reuse my configuration repository. I've been able to reuse that same repository from 7.9 through to 7.11, but doing so for 16.1 resulted in various errors (such as Exception: ObjectNotFoundException[SYSTEM_RECORD_TYPE_USER]), despite applying the (very few) changes recorded in the documentation.

My main concern was with the changes in the web.xml file; there are quite a few new items in the new version (com.appiancorp.common.logging.ConfigureLog4j, com.appiancorp.rdbms.datasource.BusinessDataSourceValidator, com.appiancorp.applications.BundledApplicationsLoader for example), and simply inserting the new web.xml into the old repository does not work.

I understand that the way around this is to create a new repository, then merge my changes from the old repository into the new one, but that seems to rather defeat the object of...

repositories.zip

OriginalPostID-191179

OriginalPostID-191179

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • philb, as you say, configurations can change between builds. What needs to be configured and how it needs to be configured may change as new features are added and improvements are made. For example, authentication can now be configured through the admin console, so it is no longer necessary to maintain custom security configuration files when updating.

Accordingly, simply copying files over en masse may not always be effective, even though it sounds like you've had some success doing so in the past. The idea of having the repository be a "starting point" for carrying configurations over is an interesting one, but my understanding is that this is not the intended use of the repository at this time.

The documentation addresses the configuration changes that need to be made when updating Appian and provides details on which files need to be modified or moved. If you find that things are missing from the documentation or aren't clear enough, please continue to let us know. Again, we are always looking to improve and I really appreciate the insight you've provided into your experience with updates. It's definitely given me some ideas.

jims419, thank you as well for your feedback. I'd be glad to hear your thoughts in more detail offline and I'll reach out to you separately.
  • philb, as you say, configurations can change between builds. What needs to be configured and how it needs to be configured may change as new features are added and improvements are made. For example, authentication can now be configured through the admin console, so it is no longer necessary to maintain custom security configuration files when updating.

Accordingly, simply copying files over en masse may not always be effective, even though it sounds like you've had some success doing so in the past. The idea of having the repository be a "starting point" for carrying configurations over is an interesting one, but my understanding is that this is not the intended use of the repository at this time.

The documentation addresses the configuration changes that need to be made when updating Appian and provides details on which files need to be modified or moved. If you find that things are missing from the documentation or aren't clear enough, please continue to let us know. Again, we are always looking to improve and I really appreciate the insight you've provided into your experience with updates. It's definitely given me some ideas.

jims419, thank you as well for your feedback. I'd be glad to hear your thoughts in more detail offline and I'll reach out to you separately.
Children
No Data