Migration of Metadata from one server to another

Hello,

We have a sandbox server, which is used for Research and other integrations, Now we are looking to copy the kdb files and metadata from Production server to this sandbox server.
I would like to know if will there be any impact if we perform this KDB file from prod to sandbox server.

Basically we would like to have the all the artifacts of production server to POC server.
Let me know apart from KDB files and D:/Appian/admin folder, do we need to do anything.

Note: We are looking to migrate only the artifacts.

Regards,
Sandeep.

OriginalPostID-244544

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer
    Are you wanting to migrate the processes as well as models, rules etc? If you don't want the processes, why wouldn't you just use a conventional application export?
  • As there are many packages and patches, which may leads us to chaos, we are looking to only move the artifact and Document storage, So my concern is will it impact any exsisting artifacts in our sandbox server and also, do we need to consider anything else.
    Certified Lead Developer
    What do you mean by "artifact"? Processes and rules? Documents could also be considered artifacts.
  • Yes, Artifacts means all their metadata at backend, All the process models, rules, constants. I believe these are stored as metadata. Whereas I do not need processes or process instances.
    WHereas documents are stored inside admin folder in accdocs 1 ,2 ,3.......
    So let me know if we can perform this..... if yes, then i am assuming exsiting metadata of sandbox server will be lost.
    Certified Lead Developer
    I think your options are either to perform a migration - forum.appian.com/.../Upgrade_Guide.html - or to export an application containing all objects from Production to your sandbox server.

A migration will, of course, mean clearing down your sandbox environment, so that may not suit. I should add that what you've already mentioned - migrating kdb files - is effectively a migration, or upgrade.

Importing an application would replace objects that already exist on the sandbox environment with the versions of those objects from the production environment, but that is probably the simplest way of achieving what you mention.

If you're concerned that it will take a long time to add all the objects to that application (including documents), you can speed up the process by using the "Add folder contents" option in /design (assuming it's available in the version of Appian you're using) and selecting the top level folders for processes, rules, documents etc.
    Certified Lead Developer
    If you copy kdbs you'll also be getting the users from prod - so you need to careful if the system sends out any emails, as you'd not want prod users to be emailed from the sandbox environment.
    Depending on exactly what you're trying to achieve the export application is probably the safest
  • Okay This was very helpful information, but what I understand is if I move the kdb files and accdocs folder from prod to sandbox, then my exsisting artifacts will be lost, and also the users will be moved from prod to sandbox. I hope users should not be a problem, as we have the same list of users in sandbox as of prod.........
    But seems like my exsisting artifacts will be lost.
    Let me discuss this internally with the team here, and see how best we can move the artifact.

But this is sure, that move the application one by one is a very tedious job, as we have many applications and patches which may lead to issues, So we are looking the option if we can handle it at the server level.
    In other words, it would be nothing but cleaning the sandbox and performing the upgrade steps.
    Certified Lead Developer
    Why would you move them one by one? You can export multiple applications in a single export. Alternatively, you can add a new application and add all the objects as I have suggested above.
  • Okay, Sounds Good. Just one last thing, i had a discussion internally, and we are still in finalising.
    We had one query, if we dont want to move the processes, then I believe we dont need to move the kdb files of EXEC engines rite.