Replicating to DR from PRD

We have a distributed environment set up for our Production instance. F5 load balanced to 2 web servers, 2 app servers (active-passive), & clustered db. Our DR, on the other hand, is F5 to 1 web server, 1 app server, & 1 db server. Looking through the documentation on backup/replication, it mentions that it is necessary to have the exact same setup/configurations between DR and PRD.

We are not able to do that because our domain name and url for the DR will be different so we are not able to replicate the whole <APPIAN_HOME> directory. We have all engines & app data on a SAN that we plan to backup and replicate to our DR including RDBMS. Does anyone see any problems with this since the application setup will be different? Also I will be running the checkpointing script before every backup. Should we only be replicating the top 2 highest kdb files over to DR along with all app data and RDBMS?

Th...

OriginalPostID-244571

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Checkpointing does prevent writes to kdbs so I would pick times of low usage to do the checkpoint. I am not sure what your data load projections are, but the size of the kdbs can become a concern but likely can be deferred for a while.
    The proposed approach seems sound. You do have an option of replicating "live" kdb files but that will increase your RTO, since the transaction log would have to be replayed on DR site startup and I would not get into it unless your checkpointing times are really long.
  • Checkpointing does prevent writes to kdbs so I would pick times of low usage to do the checkpoint. I am not sure what your data load projections are, but the size of the kdbs can become a concern but likely can be deferred for a while.
    The proposed approach seems sound. You do have an option of replicating "live" kdb files but that will increase your RTO, since the transaction log would have to be replayed on DR site startup and I would not get into it unless your checkpointing times are really long.
Children
No Data