Best Practice around number of Record Tags on News Posts

Certified Lead Developer

I was unable to find a recommendation of a suggested max number of Record Tags for a news post.

I have a primary concern of performance, as evaluating the visibility for the records must be done for each tag.  Depending on how many posts are loaded when hitting News, the system could experience heavy load.  I know it's an extreme example

I feel from a UX perspective 3 is about the most record tags you want, beyond that and the post gets cluttered.

Does anyone have any metrics or suggestions around the performance concern?  For UX, have you found 3 to be about right, more, less?

Also, if there is a clear recommendation in the documentation, can you please point me to it?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Certified Lead Developer
    I have not seen any documentation on this, but I also find the max of 2 or 3 to be right from a usability perspective.
    Meaning a news post raises awareness to more passive participants. If they are slightly removed and you give them too many tags, how will they know which one to dive into or do you really expect them to drill, back, drill, back, drill. So, if you get too many, maybe that is even a better indication for a new record that combines that info, or...

Hope that helps and provides one perspective!
  • I don't have any metrics to support this, but my method is to only provide one record tag in any news post. The way that I approach it from a usability perspective is to ask the question: What record provides the most relevant context? Generally, if you have designed your system well, that record will provide links to the other relevant records that are the "actors" in the context of the first record. For example, if the news post is about a new purchase request in an inventory system, the most relevant record would be the request record. From that record, the system could link to other records that indicate who made the request or what product was requested.

In the end, though, it is all about the use case and what makes the most sense for the business users. If the user finds the extra context in the news post to be relevant, then I would include the additional record links. This is just my perspective on the matter, I hope that helps!

• Certified Lead Developer
    Thanks ChristineH (christineh) and Jacob Grafenstein (jacobg) Your perspectives are very helpful, and I'm glad to see that are similar to our thoughts here. I was hoping for some metrics, just as numbers are easier to represent to business, but I agree with you, the best user experience and application design would mean very few record tags. I think our best approach is to identify which record is most relevant, and discuss enhancement possibilities that would allow drilling to the other records from the primary one on the news post.

I'm still interested in anyone else's input, please feel free to keep this discussion going. Thanks Again!
  • Also, each record tag will evaluate security for the tagged record, which can drastically slow News performance depending on how performant your record is. Appian's original row-level record security solution (forum.appian.com/.../Record_Level_Security_for_Entity_Backed_Records_Best_Practice.md) has been since taken down since we reported it doesn't scale.