Nested CDTs

Certified Lead Developer

I wanted to know what's Appian best practices when it comes to nested CDTs. How many levels deep should a CDT be nested? What are the draw-backs of nesting too deep? Are there any advantages of creating a view and mapping it to CDT instead of doing a nested CDT? Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Jamal,
    As u aware that Appian recommends one level of nested CDT. As far as i know these are the following are the limitations .
    if you want to get only parent cdt data, you will get child cdt data as well.In one to many relation ship this results in pulling unnecessarily child data as well.
    Additional coding needs to be done to show the data in grids/reports that is coming from nested CDTs[typically when not in one one relationship]
    [Need to confirm the below Usecase showing the nested CDT in script task output tab]
    Suppose you a have a nested CDT structure as below.
    CDT1
    field1InCDT1
    CDT2
    field2InCDT2ofCDT1
    CDT3
    field3InCDT3ofCDT2ofCDT1

In script task outputs tab, I think you cannot store a value into the field CDT1.CDT2.CDT3.field3InCDT3ofCDT2ofCDT1 as Outupt tab will show two levels deep only.

I'm really interested in digging more on nested CDT's. Lets see what other practitioners suggests.
  • Hi Jamal,
    As u aware that Appian recommends one level of nested CDT. As far as i know these are the following are the limitations .
    if you want to get only parent cdt data, you will get child cdt data as well.In one to many relation ship this results in pulling unnecessarily child data as well.
    Additional coding needs to be done to show the data in grids/reports that is coming from nested CDTs[typically when not in one one relationship]
    [Need to confirm the below Usecase showing the nested CDT in script task output tab]
    Suppose you a have a nested CDT structure as below.
    CDT1
    field1InCDT1
    CDT2
    field2InCDT2ofCDT1
    CDT3
    field3InCDT3ofCDT2ofCDT1

In script task outputs tab, I think you cannot store a value into the field CDT1.CDT2.CDT3.field3InCDT3ofCDT2ofCDT1 as Outupt tab will show two levels deep only.

I'm really interested in digging more on nested CDT's. Lets see what other practitioners suggests.
Children
No Data