expression rule vs decision

Hi,

I know decision designer is new feature.

Would like to check what are best use cases for writing expression rules  and  best use cases write decision rules? 

Where are these decision rules are going to stored. Do we have access these tables         

Can we group decision rules under one rule set and make use of them in another rule?  Can we use this decision designer as a typical rule engine(IBM ODM,DROOLS,PEGA rule engine) functionality?

Thanks.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Krisk,

The documentation clearly mentions the details of the decision tool.
    docs.appian.com/.../Appian_Decisions.html.
    I prefer using this when compared to Expression rules.
    1. Easy of Configuring the business rules when compared to Expression rules.
    2. Easy to debug.
    3. Easily Understandable to the other developers.

Apart from the above User can configure dynamic process execution based on the set of businessrules. This will avoid complex process model design with XOR gate and with the help of this, we can avoid the changes to PM and publishing that PM.

I would suggest to dive deeper in to that link so that you will get good picture of it.

You can create a rule folder for these and store them in that folder.
    You can also call the decision rule like any other expression rule.
    docs.appian.com/.../Decisions.html

Where are these decision rules are going to stored. Do we have access these tables -- I'm not sure where they are storing these, lets see other practitioners are aware of these.
  • I agree with Chandu , there are many scenarios where we need to write lots of logic to implement if-else-if condition and it also decreases the readability of code .It also provides notes column for documentation purpose.
Reply Children
No Data