Best Practice for Deploying Patches

Certified Senior Developer

We have several process models in our Production environment that list an individual user as the process owner. We've changed our practice since they were initially deployed, using only a service account (i.e., Appian.Aministrator) for deployments but the process owner value has not changed even when patches were deployed that modified these process models. Do we need to export the processes using the Appian.Administrator account and then re-import them in order to change the process owner? Please advise. I don't want to risk having these processes fail if the listed process owner account becomes deactivated.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Judy,

Good day!!!

There are two ways to overcome this situation:

1) Take a patch consisting of the Process Models last published by deactivated user and deploy it to the same environment using Service Account

2) Use the **Republish Model as Different User** smart service to republish the process model
    Inputs:
    -> Append Old Description To New - Set Boolean if you need to append old description to new description.
    -> Break Lock - Set Boolean to breaklock the PM if it is being used by any other user
    -> Model ID - Set the Process Model IDs which has to be republished by Service Account. To get Process model ids of PM last published by deactivated user, Create a "Process Report on Process Models last modified by deactivated user" to list out the Process models(with its details including Process Model ID) . Using this report, we can get the Process Model Ids
    > New Owner - Service Account

Please find the link to Smart Service: forum.appian.com/.../summary
  • Hi Judy,

Good day!!!

There are two ways to overcome this situation:

1) Take a patch consisting of the Process Models last published by deactivated user and deploy it to the same environment using Service Account

2) Use the **Republish Model as Different User** smart service to republish the process model
    Inputs:
    -> Append Old Description To New - Set Boolean if you need to append old description to new description.
    -> Break Lock - Set Boolean to breaklock the PM if it is being used by any other user
    -> Model ID - Set the Process Model IDs which has to be republished by Service Account. To get Process model ids of PM last published by deactivated user, Create a "Process Report on Process Models last modified by deactivated user" to list out the Process models(with its details including Process Model ID) . Using this report, we can get the Process Model Ids
    > New Owner - Service Account

Please find the link to Smart Service: forum.appian.com/.../summary
Children
    Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Arun Manoj Senthil Kumar
    Thanks Arun - I plan to do the first thing you suggested. I'm still waiting for an update on the support case I created with Appian (we are a cloud customer). They were able to recreate what I described to them - where the 'owner' is the person who originally created the process model - even though the last modified is the Service Account. We may actually be okay and this could just be a bug in the old Process Model view.