Versions

Hi,

Is there any best practice considering the number of versions an object can have?

Is there any limit to the number of versions an object can have?

Whats the effect of having more versions of an object performance-wise?

Thanks and Regards

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • In regards to best practices for versions of objects in Appian, I'm not aware of any.

I think in general minimizing the versions is good for maintenance and tracking of real changes. Some developers like to save very often incrementally for fear of losing work, which is fine, but can make it difficult later on to track the trail of "real" changes. To minimize these, you could probably do something similar to "squashing commits" in git. Basically, if you've saved several times for a particular change or enhancement and are satisfied with your final development version for that increment of work, you could delete your own previous versions that were related to that particular change or enhancement you've done. This is not to be confused with deleting all previous versions of the object, that would be bad.
  • In regards to best practices for versions of objects in Appian, I'm not aware of any.

I think in general minimizing the versions is good for maintenance and tracking of real changes. Some developers like to save very often incrementally for fear of losing work, which is fine, but can make it difficult later on to track the trail of "real" changes. To minimize these, you could probably do something similar to "squashing commits" in git. Basically, if you've saved several times for a particular change or enhancement and are satisfied with your final development version for that increment of work, you could delete your own previous versions that were related to that particular change or enhancement you've done. This is not to be confused with deleting all previous versions of the object, that would be bad.
Children
No Data