Architecture - Best Practices - To retrieve data from database

When i should go for direct database connection to get the data from database vs REST API to get data from database.

What are the pros & cons of each approach. Detailed help is highly appreciated.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I think it depends on what the architecture ground rules state for the organisation.

Query Entity rules are the best performing option in Appian and also provide the most flexibility - but there may be organisational restrictions on direct access from Appian to external databases. REST API's might be ok but again depends on payload response, performance, network hops etc.

Where possible I'd opt for direct access as that is going to be better from a performance viewpoint.
  • I think it depends on what the architecture ground rules state for the organisation.

Query Entity rules are the best performing option in Appian and also provide the most flexibility - but there may be organisational restrictions on direct access from Appian to external databases. REST API's might be ok but again depends on payload response, performance, network hops etc.

Where possible I'd opt for direct access as that is going to be better from a performance viewpoint.
Children