What is the best practice for configuring process instance archival ?

Hi All,

I would like to know what is the best practice for configuring process instance archival recommended by Appian .

Since the default archival setting is 7 days which can be changed by the system administrator, is it solely dependent on the requirements that whether we can keep the process instance for 3 to 7 days or there is a specific best practice of archiving with X days that can be followed during development.

Thanks in Advance!

Akhila

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I typically think of process archiving policy in three categories based on the type of process model:

1. User-Centric Processes - These are processes with user input tasks or more complex activities. Processes with user activity often have more of a need for reviewing the process in monitor mode (e.g. users may make mistakes or encounter errors). I usually use the system default archive policy for these at 7 days.
    2. Automated Processes - These are processes with little or no user input. Often they involve integrations, document generation, etc. I usually use a shorter archive time of around ~3 days because it is less likely that I would need to review this process daata
    3. Utility Processes - These are processes that are really basic (think a process that runs on a timer every morning and then kicks off another process. Honestly for these kinds of processes, I tend to just delete the data or have a very short archvial policy like 1 day

I'd also base your archival policy on the data used. The main goal of archiving is to free up process memory. If you have a process that you know contains a large amount of data, you can tend to archive a bit sooner to free up that memory sooner. If there isn't much data used, archiving sooner will have a smaller impact.

• I typically think of process archiving policy in three categories based on the type of process model:

1. User-Centric Processes - These are processes with user input tasks or more complex activities. Processes with user activity often have more of a need for reviewing the process in monitor mode (e.g. users may make mistakes or encounter errors). I usually use the system default archive policy for these at 7 days.
    2. Automated Processes - These are processes with little or no user input. Often they involve integrations, document generation, etc. I usually use a shorter archive time of around ~3 days because it is less likely that I would need to review this process daata
    3. Utility Processes - These are processes that are really basic (think a process that runs on a timer every morning and then kicks off another process. Honestly for these kinds of processes, I tend to just delete the data or have a very short archvial policy like 1 day

I'd also base your archival policy on the data used. The main goal of archiving is to free up process memory. If you have a process that you know contains a large amount of data, you can tend to archive a bit sooner to free up that memory sooner. If there isn't much data used, archiving sooner will have a smaller impact.

Children
No Data