Automating an Appian application

Hello,

I have recently been hired to develop an automation framework for a large-scale Appian project. I have experience in creating automation frameworks using Selenium, Cucumber, TestNG, Junit, Maven, and Jenkins but I have never used Appian (going through the developer course now).

I was wondering what the community suggests is the "go-to" framework or if it's more up to personal opinion. I did find this helpful guide here https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/21.2/testing-applications.html however the links do not work for me that would take me to the three functional UI testing tools. If anyone has a working link that would also be helpful so I can have a look at all 3. 

Mainly I am just looking for advice from anyone who has built a large automation QA framework for an Appian project. 

Thanks!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi,
    to get to the links you have to be a registered user at the Appian Community. (see the button in the right upper corner).
    The main question is, what is the best approach if Appian is changing the handling of their UI components to avoid that your QA framework is breaking.
    a.) Fitnesse for Appian
    b.) The selenium API (available at the Appian App Market)
    c.) Appian RPA (it is using the Flacon engine for recognizing UI artifacts, like icons, etc. independent of the underlying technic) 
    d.) Going with your own programming (pure Selenium) with all freedoms but the risk one day all of your testcases will stop to work.

Just my two pence.

• Thanks for the response. Someone else informed me that you can't really use conditional statements with Fitnesse which would be a deal-breaker for this framework. I am thinking I'll go with Selenium API and Cucumber for the test execution & organization. I like Cucumber because it's very organized and not easy to break if you write the features well.