Process Model Lane Assignments

Background:  We do not use tempo or user tasks in our application.  All our objects are deployed to higher environments under a service profile.

We are having a discussion on best practice for swim lane assignments, here are the two thoughts:

1. All swimlanes should be set to run as designer.

2. All swimlanes should be set to run as initiator unless elevated privileges are needed.

I'm in camp #2.  I don't believe process models should be set to run as designer.  Our service profile has Appian Admin access and therefore should only be used on a limited basis.

While I'd like to hear opinions on this, if anyone has links to Appian recommendations, that would be even better.  Seems like "best practice" is thrown around too freely without official documentation and based more on personal preference.

Thanks

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

I don't use swim lanes at all until and unless I have a specific reason to use them.  Usually this is involving task assignments which would need to remain consistent in a lane, and sometimes it's more about visual flow organization (though that can turn into too much of a pain in the butt very quickly).  In the latter case, which sounds like it applies to you, I don't see any particular reason to set any lane-specific permissions.

• Just to stoke some controversy...I mandate the use of swimlanes. For me they form part of the documentation (I hate having to open up individual nodes to find the actual assignment, it's an extra click that could be avoided). I understand the "we don't have task assignments therefore don't need swimlanes" argument, but that doesn't take into account that that is a point-in-time position. That might not be true tomorrow. Tomorrow you might have a Task Assignment. You then have to make assignments at the node level (see previous "I hate..." statement)

• Totally agree IF you have task assignments and adding in swim lanes if you add a task assignment at a later time is trivial. But I avoid using user input tasks as much as possible so these use cases are few and far between.

Reply Children
No Data