Frecuency to invoke a web service

Certified Lead Developer

Hi all,

We have a requirement to read some xml files from an external system when they are ready. It would be ideal to set up an API in Appian to receive a call when a file is ready but this is not an option for limitations in the external system. We have to invoke from Appian a web service every x minutes to retrieve the files.

The question is, how often to do it? The requirement says we should call the external system "at least twice per minute" which I think is too frequent. As the standard timeout setting of Web Service calls is 120 ms I think we could have difficulties if we invoked the service more frequently than that. 

I really dont like having to generate process instances every 5 minutes but I would like to know what is the recommendation here? The customer wants to see the files quickly. How often would you generate a process for this? 

Thanks a lot

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Certified Senior Developer

The minimum time can you start a process is 5 minutes, i suggest to create an utility process will to be deleted after completition.
    In this model, you can call, with MNI (or similar) a process every X time, X determined with a timer and a specific expression.

obviously the process have to be completed before 5 minutes.

I hope to gave you an idea.

• Certified Senior Developer

The minimum time can you start a process is 5 minutes, i suggest to create an utility process will to be deleted after completition.
    In this model, you can call, with MNI (or similar) a process every X time, X determined with a timer and a specific expression.

obviously the process have to be completed before 5 minutes.

I hope to gave you an idea.

Children
No Data