Database table and fields naming convention

Hi All, 

What is the best practice/Appian recommended naming convention for database tables and fields?

Previously the database table created by Appian were all lowercase, now in latest version, all (tables and fields) in upper cases. Is there any reason they changed it to upper case? For most databases, recommended naming convention in stored procedure is to keep the key words as upper case and fields in camel case/pascal case and table name in pascal case

Please let's know your thoughts/recommendations.

SG

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Certified Lead Developer

Hi Here are the best practices when it comes to naming convention of database tables

1. Use lowercase letters, as MySQL is case-insensitive and lowercase table names are easier to type and read.

2. Use underscores to separate words in table names, as this makes table names more readable and easier to understand.

3. Use a consistent naming convention for tables, such as using a prefix to indicate the purpose of the table, such as "tbl_" or "t_".

4. Make sure table names are descriptive and meaningful, and avoid using abbreviations or acronyms that may not be easily understood.

5. Avoid using reserved words as table names, such as "select" or "from".

6. Avoid using special characters or spaces in table names.

7. Keep table names short but not too short, so that it's easy to understand the context of the table.

8. Be consistent with the naming of tables and columns across the entire database schema.

9. Make sure the table name is referring to the same thing as the columns and data inside of the table.

• Thanks Kilaru Rajesh. Your recommendation is to use lower case as MySQL is case-insensitive and it is easier to type and read. 

I am trying to understand why Appian has recently changed the naming convention to all upper case for database tables and fields any thoughts?

Regards,

Surjit

• Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to surjitg

@ - I am also trying to understand this. Have you managed to get an answer ?

• Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Paroshni Naidoo

Personally, I like the new way much better. The old way of have all lowercase with no seperators between the words was not ideal IMO.