Should you upgrade lower or higher environment first and why

Certified Senior Developer

Hi All,

I came across a question where the environment should get upgraded to latest version. Should we start upgrading the higher environments first and go down to lower environment upgrade or vice-versa, and what will be the impact in both cases. Can someone help in knowing this impact?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Certified Lead Developer

The system I run is a 3-environment setup: Dev, TEST, and Production.

Our deployment structure is slightly unusual though: once deployments are tested in TEST, they're typically deployed to Production straight from Dev.  Since it's mostly only me (plus one other junior dev with me now), there are very little chances for overlapping or conflicting changes to crop up.  We deploy individual tickets as they're completed via their own app packages.

When a new version rolls out I like to try it out right away.  The upgrade strategy I've adopted and have had no issues with over the bulk of the prior 2 1/2 years is about like this:  As soon as we're eligible, I schedule TEST to be upgraded as soon as possible.  Then I and the other business owners / stakeholders will try out the new features and check for stability, etc... and once we're sure there are no blockers created, I schedule Dev and Production to be upgraded around the same time during a forthcoming weekend timeslot (they only like doing production instance upgrades during the weekends).  This prevents us from ever being unable to deploy to production when needed.

• Certified Lead Developer

The system I run is a 3-environment setup: Dev, TEST, and Production.

Our deployment structure is slightly unusual though: once deployments are tested in TEST, they're typically deployed to Production straight from Dev.  Since it's mostly only me (plus one other junior dev with me now), there are very little chances for overlapping or conflicting changes to crop up.  We deploy individual tickets as they're completed via their own app packages.

When a new version rolls out I like to try it out right away.  The upgrade strategy I've adopted and have had no issues with over the bulk of the prior 2 1/2 years is about like this:  As soon as we're eligible, I schedule TEST to be upgraded as soon as possible.  Then I and the other business owners / stakeholders will try out the new features and check for stability, etc... and once we're sure there are no blockers created, I schedule Dev and Production to be upgraded around the same time during a forthcoming weekend timeslot (they only like doing production instance upgrades during the weekends).  This prevents us from ever being unable to deploy to production when needed.

Children
No Data