Navigation sidebar - preserve state

Certified Senior Developer

Appian promotes navigation sidebars which gives you a possibility to have multiple interfaces on one page on one side. I really like this approach and patter but our users complains on 2 things:

1 State is not saved - when user click on something to start process (startProcessLink) then when process is done user is redirected to main page (filters are gone, Appian does not remember from which page user stared that process.

2 If you save 'state' to table (fact that user was on particular ui) then users cannot use Application on 2 or more Chrome tabs. Appian gets their state from db and move them back to same page on all tabs.

Any thoughts how to address this lost state problem?

Navigation patter:

docs.appian.com/.../secondary-navigation.html

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Certified Lead Developer

For #1 - The only workaround I know is to never use anything that redirects to another page. You must do your saves inline (via startProcess tied to a button), alternatively, you can use Record Actions, but they need to be in Dialog mode.

For #2 Stems from the fact that we cannot create urls other than for Sites or Record views. There's no way to point a user to a secondary page with a URL.

• Certified Lead Developer

For #1 - The only workaround I know is to never use anything that redirects to another page. You must do your saves inline (via startProcess tied to a button), alternatively, you can use Record Actions, but they need to be in Dialog mode.

For #2 Stems from the fact that we cannot create urls other than for Sites or Record views. There's no way to point a user to a secondary page with a URL.

Children