When upgrading Appian, how do you test the upgrade and continue your normal development and deployment lifecycle simultaneously?

We have 3 cloud based environments: DEV, QC & Production.

When the Appian platform is being upgraded on the cloud, we can schedule the date/time it happens for each environment.

General good practice is that you should upgrade your non-production environments first. After a period of regression testing on those environments, you upgrade your production environment.

Now, if we upgrade our non-development environments first for a period of a week to give the developers and software testers time to do their regression testing, we cannot deploy any new features or bug fixes to production during this time as the Appian versions on DEV/QC are different to Production. This is a major problem if during that week of testing a critical bug is found in production that needs to be fixed and deployed to production ASAP.

How do you all handle this?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Certified Lead Developer

I'm required to only use 3 environments - Dev, Test, Prod.

When a new version goes GA, i immediately update TEST.  I'll let it simmer for a week (and more if there's an apparent issue).  Once I'm satisfied, I schedule updates for PROD and DEV at the same time (on a sunday evening).  During this time we deploy items directly from Dev to PROD.

• Certified Lead Developer

I'm required to only use 3 environments - Dev, Test, Prod.

When a new version goes GA, i immediately update TEST.  I'll let it simmer for a week (and more if there's an apparent issue).  Once I'm satisfied, I schedule updates for PROD and DEV at the same time (on a sunday evening).  During this time we deploy items directly from Dev to PROD.

Children
No Data