What is best practice for converting an application designed using CDTs to Records?

Over the pass few years much has changed for data structures within Appian, specifically with record types and custom data types (CDT). There does not seem to be any official documentation on how to convert an application designed using CDTs to one using records. While CDTs have not been entirely fazed out but rather relegated to support with plugins and smart services, it is often more performant and (based on Appian documentation) preferred to build using record types. 

My questions are:

1. For larger "legacy" systems is there a significant benefit to converting the existing CDTs used in process models, interfaces, rules, etc. to record types?
  2. Is there a fast and efficient way of converting these types from CDT to Record.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Certified Associate Developer

Hi Jesse,

1. If the data volume if very high and the system is legacy, its bit hard to convert into rules using record type, the effort would be very high.

2. But still you can convert reporting's, and any static data for which the ids are referring in transaction table but the value of that exists in another table. For such things record sync are best. 

3. I don't think there is a fast and efficient way, its more of rewrite of the rules. But for beginning you can start with #2 which will be more useful.

• Certified Associate Developer

Hi Jesse,

1. If the data volume if very high and the system is legacy, its bit hard to convert into rules using record type, the effort would be very high.

2. But still you can convert reporting's, and any static data for which the ids are referring in transaction table but the value of that exists in another table. For such things record sync are best. 

3. I don't think there is a fast and efficient way, its more of rewrite of the rules. But for beginning you can start with #2 which will be more useful.

Children
No Data