What is the best practice which we can utilize to make all Appian environments (DEV, SIT, UAT, PROD) in sync?

Certified Senior Developer

We are facing multiple production incidents due to objects at different versions in all different environment. 

Can any one please suggest what is the best governance practice we should follow to avoid these issues.

Here, Appian support team make direct changes in Production objects mainly constants according to the incidents raised but they are not moved to lower environments. hence, when developer take changes from lower environments, it overwrites the production object, causing issues. 

There are multiple heavy applications with more than 500 objects.

How to keep all environments in sync? 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

Feels like you need a clear software delivery process and strong governance.

And I suggest to not let anyone ever modify anything on PROD. When there is anything to configure, build an Appian process for it. And constants can be configured to allow different values for environments so they will not get overwritten on deployments.

This is my approach: appian.rocks/.../

in reply to Stefan Helzle

Thanks  ,

I know constants can be environment constants. 

But the problem here is, there is single support team of 5 people managing all Appian applications incidents. They have access to change constants and run process instance in monitoring mode. 

When anything is directly changed by them in Production, developer community does not know about the changes and they deploy their code from Dev, SIT, UAT to PROD. which sometimes abrupt some functionality in Prod.

We need some governance around sync of all environments. 

I was asking around suggestions from people working in different organizations, how they are managing sync of all environments.

in reply to Stefan Helzle

Thanks  ,

I know constants can be environment constants. 

But the problem here is, there is single support team of 5 people managing all Appian applications incidents. They have access to change constants and run process instance in monitoring mode. 

When anything is directly changed by them in Production, developer community does not know about the changes and they deploy their code from Dev, SIT, UAT to PROD. which sometimes abrupt some functionality in Prod.

We need some governance around sync of all environments. 

I was asking around suggestions from people working in different organizations, how they are managing sync of all environments.

Children