Passing Input Variables as Reference to Multiple Nested Sub-Processes

Hi All,

I have a boolean variable in my initial process that I need to reference in a sub- sub- sub- process, is this possible? Can you pass a single variable through 3 process models to be used by the 4th based on the value from the 1st?

It's difficult to explain, but I need to know whether or not the initial process was scheduled or ad-hoc (the boolean value) in the 4th sub-process of this overarching process in order to make appropriate task assignments in the last model. 

I passed the variable as reference in the Sub-Process node of the 1st model, but when I try to do it again in the 2nd sub-process the variable doesn't appear as an input variable even after hitting Refresh. 

Thanks for more info! 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • The only difference with Pass by reference is that the variable will be pointing to the same memory address.

To access the pv address from level 1 process in level 4 process model, you have to pass it to each level in between by reference also.

I did try this just now and I was able to select the pv. For debugging you issue, I recommend checking if the PV is a parameter and of same type - multiple vs single etc.
  • When I go to select the PV to pass into the next process model it does not appear -- it only appears in the original PM as an option but none of the other Sub-Process nodes in the later models. Even when I set it as a Parameter in the first model with all the same options. Am I missing something else?

In this model above (first sub-process), the boolean variable is appearing in the Process Model Properties > Process Variables (presumably bc I passed it as reference from the parent process)-- but in the next sub-process node in this model, the variable does not appear (see above screenshot), even after refreshing. How come it's not seeing the Process Variable or making it available in the Sub-Process Node set up? 

• When I go to select the PV to pass into the next process model it does not appear -- it only appears in the original PM as an option but none of the other Sub-Process nodes in the later models. Even when I set it as a Parameter in the first model with all the same options. Am I missing something else?

In this model above (first sub-process), the boolean variable is appearing in the Process Model Properties > Process Variables (presumably bc I passed it as reference from the parent process)-- but in the next sub-process node in this model, the variable does not appear (see above screenshot), even after refreshing. How come it's not seeing the Process Variable or making it available in the Sub-Process Node set up? 

Children
No Data