Decimal precision seems limited

The decimal data type in Appian seems very limited, e.g. todecimal(100000.99) returns 100001

Any ideas?

https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/18.2/fnc_conversion_todecimal.html

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Wow... I am able to replicate this behavior in the Expression rule editor. I also tested it by setting a rule input to decimal type, showing it in a text field, and experimenting with how many sig figs I could put before it started rounding the value. It is very surprising.

It seems as if the Decimal data type can only contain a maximum of 7 decimal digits. This is usually the precision of a single precision floating point. Most implementations of a double precision floating point have 16 decimal digits.

I will ask around and put in a question to support. If I find any additional information I'll post it here.

• Wow... I am able to replicate this behavior in the Expression rule editor. I also tested it by setting a rule input to decimal type, showing it in a text field, and experimenting with how many sig figs I could put before it started rounding the value. It is very surprising.

It seems as if the Decimal data type can only contain a maximum of 7 decimal digits. This is usually the precision of a single precision floating point. Most implementations of a double precision floating point have 16 decimal digits.

I will ask around and put in a question to support. If I find any additional information I'll post it here.

Children
No Data