Is MS SQL Server 2017 Supported as Data source?

Hi All,

Is MS SQL Server 2017 supported as a data source for APPIAN installation?

Regards

Siddharth

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
  • You are correct chetan. we would need at least driver version 6.2 to connect to MS SQL Server 2017.
    As eric has mentioned, while it may work, i need to understand the pitfalls of using a non-supported version or am i better off working with the 2016 till 2017 gets supported.

Currently our APPIAN cloud environment has a 6.0 version driver installed.For now, I am going to check with the support team to see if the latest driver could be installed on cloud and what they suggest.
  •  

I agree with you suspicion that this version of SQL server will probably work just fine.

However, for the sake of our friends here on community, it's important to point out that JDBC connectivity is not the only criteria considered for Appian to offer official support for a database.
    For example, DB2 running on z/OS is JDBC compatible, but it's not supported.

When using queryEntities (a!queryEntity), or writeToDataStore smart services you're not writing the SQL. Appian's data layer governs the syntax for those commands in a precise and reliable manner. This means that Appian has to know exactly what type of database it's talking to.  Subtle nuances in acceptable syntax must be accounted for.   Hence, the point made by  regarding Appian Product/QA sign off is very important to consider.   The product team needs to account for Appian to prepare the correct SQL for the appropriate database.

If you choose to configure an unsupported database, you are accepting the risk of encountering unexpected behavior.

My recommendation to  would be to avoid using an unsupported database as a business data source. 
    Definitely do not use an unsupported database for primary.

• Yes, I agree with you.
    The Appian data layer would have to be tested with a newer version of the database.
    This is something that Appian product engineering would have to test.