How to Calculate the median, from the Value of Rule Inputs for individual item in an Cascading dropdown

Hello Everyone,

I have an editable Grid, which contains a Cascading Drop down as shown below, where as the category displays 'MI' and Skills pop up related to that. I also have multiple values as such. And i can add more rows to it.

The following is the Rule Input

Now, how can I to have a median calculated based on "ri!CC_Person.skills.Rating" only for 'MI' even though I add more rows and select 'MI' with the rating.

Thanks in advance..!!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Can you index the list of CC_Person wherecontains MI for skills.category? Something like:

median(index(ri!CC_Person.skills.rating, wherecontains("MI", ri!CC_Person.skills.category), 0))

I'd have to test the code to know if it works correctly, so let me know if that still doesn't work and we can discuss in more detail.
  • Hello Ashvin,

Thank You for your response, to the check the Median i've taken a text field to test the output temporarily. please check the code below

a!textField(
    label:"",
    value: {a!forEach(
    items: ri!CC_Person.skills.Rating,
    expression: if(ri!CC_Person.skills.category = "MI", median(index(ri!CC_Person.skills.rating, wherecontains("MI", ri!CC_Person.skills.category), 0)), "")
    )},
    readOnly: true()

)

Its not throwing me an error, when one row is selected it gives me a correct value, else if I select many this is the output ";".
  • Not sure I understand - why would you need the forEach() at all? Seems like you want the median of ALL ratings where the category is MI. Try this:

a!textField(
    value: median(index(ri!CC_Person.skills.rating, wherecontains("MI", ri!CC_Person.skills.category), 0)),
    )

I also sent you a message, so let me know offline if you need additional info from me. This seems to just be a logic configuration question which we can handle off of the message board.
  • Not sure I understand - why would you need the forEach() at all? Seems like you want the median of ALL ratings where the category is MI. Try this:

a!textField(
    value: median(index(ri!CC_Person.skills.rating, wherecontains("MI", ri!CC_Person.skills.category), 0)),
    )

I also sent you a message, so let me know offline if you need additional info from me. This seems to just be a logic configuration question which we can handle off of the message board.
Children
  • Hello Ashvin,

The below is the code for Median, As I have to showcase the median i'm using a text field read only and displaying the value

a!textField(
    label: "MI",
    labelPosition: "JUSTIFIED",
    value: if(ri!CC_Person.skills.category = "MI", median(index(ri!CC_Person.skills.rating, wherecontains("MI", ri!CC_Person.skills.category), 0)),"" ),
    refreshafter: "UNFOCUS",
    readOnly: true(),
    align: "LEFT"
    ),

Even though I'm using a 'if' condition yet there is an error stating null value being passed - Expression evaluation error at function 'wherecontains' parameter 2 [line 190]: Invalid index: Cannot index property 'category' of type Text into null value of type CC_Skills?list

Any help would be appreciated
  • Going by the error message, it seems that the skills list is coming back as a null value (not an empty CDT since it would probably recognize that the category field is present). I would double-check that the data you're using is always populating the ri!CC_Person.skills CDT so that at least an empty CDT is assigned to it.
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to nellorea0001

Try this updated version of Ashvin's code. I've added some safeguards here, the main one being:

Indexing instead of using dot notation - As stevens812 noted, if ri!CC_Person.skills is null (not typed), we would get the error you posted. By indexing, we avoid the UI error. 

a!textField(
      value: median(
        index(
          index(ri!CC_Person.skills, "rating", {}), 
          wherecontains(
            "MI", 
            touniformstring(index(ri!CC_Person.skills, "category", {}))
          ), 
        )
      ),
    )