Extract Years from multiple columns and prepare a consolidated list

Hi Team,

I have an Employee table in below structure, and I want to create a list of years by taking all the distinct years from both the Start_Date and End_Date columns.

employee ( emp_id Number, Start_Date Date, End_Date Date, Status Varchar2(50) )

Please help me with your ideas.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    Hi Sunil,

There are 2 steps to this solution:
    1. Get the list of all the years, given the Start_Date and End_Date fields
    2. Get the distinct years from the list yielded by step 1.

Details:

1. You can use the year() function to extract the year as an Integer from a Date. To do this over an array of dates, a!forEach should work fine.

2. A common method to get the distinct values (remove duplicates) from a list is to use a union() function, using the same list as both arguments. This function will return the list without duplicates. It is a good idea to make a general "GBL_distinct" rule to encapsulate this purpose.
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    Hi Sunil,

There are 2 steps to this solution:
    1. Get the list of all the years, given the Start_Date and End_Date fields
    2. Get the distinct years from the list yielded by step 1.

Details:

1. You can use the year() function to extract the year as an Integer from a Date. To do this over an array of dates, a!forEach should work fine.

2. A common method to get the distinct values (remove duplicates) from a list is to use a union() function, using the same list as both arguments. This function will return the list without duplicates. It is a good idea to make a general "GBL_distinct" rule to encapsulate this purpose.
Children
No Data