Null is converted to empty string when writing to database.

While updating a table from the process model using WriteToDatastoreEntity node. Even though CDT fields are null, it is updating empty string value in the table. How to update NULL in the table when data is null?

Thanks,

Varsha

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Varsha,

From my experience, Appian will always write a blank value instead of null of data type Text.  The workarounds I have used in the past are:

1. Following the writeToDataStoreEntity node, use a Query Database node with a statement such as UPDATE table SET col1 = NULL WHERE col1 = ''
    2. If this particular value is always blank/null, you can exclude it from your CDT so that Appian does not replace is with a blank value.

I realize these solutions are less than ideal, and I do wish Appian would treat text fields the same as other data types and retain a NULL value in the database.  I am curious if anyone else has come up with a better solution.

Brad

• Hi Varsha,

From my experience, Appian will always write a blank value instead of null of data type Text.  The workarounds I have used in the past are:

1. Following the writeToDataStoreEntity node, use a Query Database node with a statement such as UPDATE table SET col1 = NULL WHERE col1 = ''
    2. If this particular value is always blank/null, you can exclude it from your CDT so that Appian does not replace is with a blank value.

I realize these solutions are less than ideal, and I do wish Appian would treat text fields the same as other data types and retain a NULL value in the database.  I am curious if anyone else has come up with a better solution.

Brad

Children
No Data