Unable to retrieve data from queryEntity for a date range

Unable to retrieve data from queryEntity for a date range. The below code is not working and instead throwing an error that "between" operator cannot be used. Please advise how to fix it.

local!chartDatasubset: a!queryEntity(
entity: cons!NSARequest_Entity_Cons,
query: a!query(
aggregation: a!queryAggregation(
aggregationColumns: {
a!queryAggregationColumn(field: "Status", alias: "Status", isGrouping: true),
a!queryAggregationColumn(field: "SubmittedDate", alias: "SubmittedDate", isGrouping: true),
a!queryAggregationColumn(field: "Id", aggregationFunction: "COUNT")
}
),
filter: a!queryFilter(
field: "SubmittedDate",
operator: "between",
value: { if(isnull(ri!StartDate), today(), ri!StartDate), if(isnull(ri!EndDate), today(), ri!EndDate) }
),
pagingInfo: local!chartPagingInfo
)
),

Initially had an expression rule below which used to be working in 18.3 version. Not sure if in new 18.4 version it isn't. Please advise.

with(
local!chartPagingInfo: a!pagingInfo(
startIndex: 1,
batchSize: -1,
sort: a!sortInfo(
ascending: true
)
),
a!queryEntity_18r3(
entity: cons!NSARequest_Entity_Cons,
query: a!query(
filter: {
a!queryFilter(
selection: "",
operator: "between",
value: { ri!StartDate, ri!EndDate }
)
},
pagingInfo: local!chartPagingInfo
)
)
)

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer
    I believe the if() statements you're using in the filter are causing the issue. The type (107) that it's complaining about is "list of date", so i suspect your from: and to: dates are resolving as an array of 1 date each (as opposed to each one being a single element like it's expecting). I can't verify this, but I suspect your if() statements might be returning an array/list and this might be causing the issue.

To quickly check this, please replace that line of code with this and try again:
    value: { if(isnull(ri!StartDate), today(), ri!StartDate)[1], if(isnull(ri!EndDate), today(), ri!EndDate)[1] }
  • What is the type of SubmittedDate? Have you tried changing today() to now()? It seems like your SubmittedDate when comparing to today() is invalid because they are of differing types. However, if you change today() to now() (probably would want to truncate the now() timestamp to midnight of the current date) it appears to work as expected from my test scenarios.

Certified Lead Developer

Hi anushas0002 couple of quick questions here to understand the root cause behind this error and resolve the same:

• What's the type of SubmittedDate?
    • What's the type of ri!StartDate and ri!EndDate
    • Is ri!StartDate and ri!EndDate defined as single or multiple?

Upon knowing these details will help the practitioners to identify and resolve this issue.

• Hi Anusha,

Please check data type of the SubmittedDate, if it is Date type , replace value with below code. Then it should work as expected.

value:{ if(isnull(ri!StartDate), today(), ri!StartDate), if(isnull(ri!EndDate), today(), ri!EndDate) }

Thanks,
    Sindhu
  • Submitted Date is Date Time. Start Date and EndDate are dates. Each of it is a single date value.
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to anushas0002

looks like the Filter Parameter Between is expecting both inputs are of type Date Time, Please change it to Date Time and then Test It.

{ if(isnull(ri!StartDate), now(), ri!StartDate), if(isnull(ri!EndDate), now(), ri!EndDate) }

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to anushas0002
    Hi your rule input i.e. ri!startDate and ri!endDate should match with the type of your DB column data type i.e. submittedDate (Date and Time).

Hence to resolve this you have following ways:

1. [Recommended] change your input type to Date and Time in Appian and pass the respective value to it and also make sure that you are handling the null values properly.

2. [Not Recommended] If you don't want to change your input type in such case, you need to enclose ri! startDate and ri!endDate with todatetime() function as shown below:
    value: {todatetime(ri!startDate), todatetime(ri!endDate)}

-- This will convert your Date input value to Date and Time. But i would not recommend to go for this approach, as the Approach 1 stands better here.

3. [Not Recommended] If you don't want to change your input type in such case an another approach could be: Alter the Database column type to Date and re-map your CDT and verify your data store (to avoid any mapping issues). But i would not recommend to go for this approach, as the Approach 1 stands better here.

Hope this will help you.