I must have to use use REST APIs to connect external MS SQL server database for query, update, delete etc. Will there be any drawbacks?

Hi,

We are developing new application but organization has strict constraint to use REST API's only.

I am new to Appian, Will there be any issues while developing application with REST API's.

Does REST API will work wherever QueryRecord works like process model etc.

My application has all CRUD operations.

Please provide detailed guide so that i can design my system accordingly. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Pravin,

There are a Lot of information required. But please find the following points which are required.

• The Third Party (Rest API/ Endpoint Provider) should be registered in Appian.
      • A PEM Certificate has to be created by the REST service provider and has to be uploaded to Appian Admin Console.
    • A lot of Integrations has to be created Getting data and CRUD operations- for connecting with the Service Providers.
    • As For the Inputs and Outputs, the Rest API calls mostly will be handled in JSON format, so have to handle the transformations in APPIAN to convert to CDT.
    • The performance depends on the network Traffic, it will be definitely slower than WTDSE and WTMDSE.
    • Security, logging, debugging will be a main concern - So has to have a handshake with the service provider, like for all transactions/ CRUD operations passing Public Key, Private Key, Transaction ID etc. will be required.
    • Error handling will be done by sending Error Messages in Response Body, which has to be monitored or stored in Appian for Logging/ Debugging purposes.
    • Main Pain-point will be finding a proper retrigger mechanism in case of failure transactions, if required.

These are some of the points I have come across...

Regards,

ejass

• Hi Pravin,

There are a Lot of information required. But please find the following points which are required.

• The Third Party (Rest API/ Endpoint Provider) should be registered in Appian.
      • A PEM Certificate has to be created by the REST service provider and has to be uploaded to Appian Admin Console.
    • A lot of Integrations has to be created Getting data and CRUD operations- for connecting with the Service Providers.
    • As For the Inputs and Outputs, the Rest API calls mostly will be handled in JSON format, so have to handle the transformations in APPIAN to convert to CDT.
    • The performance depends on the network Traffic, it will be definitely slower than WTDSE and WTMDSE.
    • Security, logging, debugging will be a main concern - So has to have a handshake with the service provider, like for all transactions/ CRUD operations passing Public Key, Private Key, Transaction ID etc. will be required.
    • Error handling will be done by sending Error Messages in Response Body, which has to be monitored or stored in Appian for Logging/ Debugging purposes.
    • Main Pain-point will be finding a proper retrigger mechanism in case of failure transactions, if required.

These are some of the points I have come across...

Regards,

ejass

Children
No Data