Appian Database is super slow

Appian Database connection get 504 error

When connection is successful but when expanding some table is slow: keep loading and never finish

Call support team many times, the solution they provided are all temproray like kill the long run query. But the root problem is the query should not be that long.

Typically the following operation will reproduce the slowness

1) change a column type using
ALTER TABLE `T_PolicyBasic` CHANGE `Add_Record_Date` `Add_Record_Date` DATETIME NULL DEFAULT NULL;

2) from UI, try to drop a column or table or a record
3) from UI, try to use "empty" to delete all record in table

Most of those table are empty or have at most 120 record. All operation on single table, no joins

Not rush hour related, this problem exist all day long even in mid-night

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hello Ze-Yang, 

I am sorry to hear that experience, Appian works similar to most of the support teams they need you to open a ticket in order for them to be able to jump into it. So now the question is how can you open a ticket? 

1) you need to associate your account with your organization

2) your account needs to be added as part of the support contacts so you would be able to view/update /create cases

* using the following link http://forum.appian.com/suite/sites/support

After you open the case they will be able to help you in a better fashion, I understand your frustration but if you were to support one application having a ticket is the best way for the support team that you are really allowed to ask for restart or for them to change something on the system. 

Meanwhile if the database is slow  there are multiple reasons for that to happen and it will depend on the architecture that you have on your systems. 

* In case the database is on the same box as the Appian installation if any of them is using extensive number of resources you can experience slowness

* If you have the DB server is independent then you might need to review which processes are running. 

* Are you having a rush hour? is this in development environment? or in production?

* Are your applications hitting the database too much ? or you increased the number of users ?

* Are you running big joins? with multiple tables? have you checked the indexes?

One think that I would recommend is to see the System Metrics Logs (system.csv) that you can find how the system is doing. Which can tell you how the resources are doing on your environment. 

Even though we can help you I will strongly recommend  you to have access to the cases. 

Thanks 

Jose 

• I have open multiple tickets on this problem. At begining, no clean signal show who cause the problem. Tech support just kill the long run query solution. As this happen many time, I found the pattern:

when doing the following operation, database is super slow and looks like will never finish

1) change a column type  using
    ALTER TABLE `T_PolicyBasic` CHANGE `Add_Record_Date` `Add_Record_Date` DATETIME NULL DEFAULT NULL;

No big table, table have at most 120 record and most of the table are empty. All my operation are on single table. What's more, when I do same operation on my local mysql database, all those operation should be finished immediately or at most few second. But in appain cloud database (provided by appian, not third party), it take hours long or never finish and need customer support to kill the process

• I have open multiple tickets on this problem. At begining, no clean signal show who cause the problem. Tech support just kill the long run query solution. As this happen many time, I found the pattern:

when doing the following operation, database is super slow and looks like will never finish

1) change a column type  using

No big table, table have at most 120 record and most of the table are empty. All my operation are on single table. What's more, when I do same operation on my local mysql database, all those operation should be finished immediately or at most few second. But in appain cloud database (provided by appian, not third party), it take hours long or never finish and need customer support to kill the process

Children