Using a sort in a!queryentity() returns very little data (5 records) but without sort returns more than 200 records

Hello ! 

I am connecting to a view on an external RDBMS via a synonym present on the target system. I've configured a datasource, created a cdt and published the data store successfully.

From my local expression rule I simply am trying to query to fetch data with the last modified date > (ri!dueDate, say 05-NOV-2020). This will be a batch process and I want to fetch around 50-100 records at a time. 

[While passing the ri!dueDate in a filter parameter of the a!query() with the operator as '>=' and sort by last modified date in desc, the 5 oldest records were returned (records from 2018) no matter what I tried inside the rule. So I decidedto break this  down and start analyzing from scratch. ]

Here's what I get with a descending sort on the last modified date, to fetch the most recent records:

Code:

Result:

A List of variant with 5 items, returning in the correct sort order (latest records from 2020). The time taken for this fetch was 11,160 ms. 

If I increase the batchSize to anything greater than 5, I get "Expression evaluation error at function a!queryEntity: An error occurred while retrieving the data."

Now, with the same code as above but without the sort and batchsize = 200, I get all the records from this view which takes about 17,598 ms. 

I went through different while trying to understand this -

• Query time out limit
  • Size of the data fetched 
  • How many database calls Appian makes in a!queryEntity()
  • How the sorting works in a!pagingInfo()

I've hit a blind spot with this issue. Any ideas or suggestions on what is going on here would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance everyone ! 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible