Feature Request: please enable local variables In records

Certified Senior Developer

Feature Request:

Enable local variables where we can query or get some important data related to a record item so that it can be reused in all the of the related actions visibility because we usually do same set of queries/group checks most of the time. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Data related to the core record can be brought into context in one of 3 ways:

1. as mentioned by the other responses, you can use an Expression-back record at assemble the related data in the expression itself. This will work but will have a performance overhead as you're making two or more round-trips to the data source
    2. you can make a 'VIEW' in the database, effectively bringing the data together in one place. Your record then is still entity-backed but is now referencing the VIEW rather than the original entity
    3. Modern records all you to nest related data in the underling CDT which conceptually works much in the same way as a VIEW does.
    in reply to Stewart Burchell

The new nested data in records can fix most of the scenarios though.

• Just curious - is your primary concern the performance of getting data from these other sources? What kind of performance are you seeing currently and how many views / queries are you currently doing?

in reply to Peter Lewis

Hi Peter,

Yes Performance is the main concern here. We have API's and query entities to fetch user access information which needs to queried in all 12 related actions. This is would be lot better to have a local variable section in record type which can be used all over the record.

We also have some API's to fetch data related to record item which should be used in view/related actions

This was one of the use case I observed, I have seen same thing in my previous projects as well.

I know this might be a large ask but just putting it out here so that it can be considered and I strongly believe I am not the only one who need this

in reply to Peter Lewis

Hi Peter,

Yes Performance is the main concern here. We have API's and query entities to fetch user access information which needs to queried in all 12 related actions. This is would be lot better to have a local variable section in record type which can be used all over the record.

We also have some API's to fetch data related to record item which should be used in view/related actions

This was one of the use case I observed, I have seen same thing in my previous projects as well.

I know this might be a large ask but just putting it out here so that it can be considered and I strongly believe I am not the only one who need this

Children
No Data