Update data of multiple rows

Certified Senior Developer

Hello,

I need to update the data of multiple rows. For example, there are multiple records with requested status and I want to change them into submitted. There is an editable grid from where the status is changed which is used by Admin. The record view is used by the user.

What I think:  To make something when admin clicks on submit the status value update the record with the updated status automatically.

Note: Value of status is already submitted, but it hasn't changed the record from requested to submitted in the record. I do not have access to Database.

I am new to Appian. If you find anything missing kindly reply.

Thanks

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • The main question I have in reading this post is what is actually being stored in your record. Are you storing the plain text of "Requested" for the status or are you storing an ID that refers to your reference table (which I assume is displayed on the left)?

If it's the latter, you shouldn't need to make any updates. If you change the data in the reference table using your action on the left, then all the places where you use this reference data will be updated automatically. In general this is the preferred approach to ensure that you only need to update the data in one place.

If you actually have the values stored as plan text in your records, then it's a little bit harder to update the results. The question is - do you just need to update this as a one time change or do you anticipate needing to make other changes in the future? If it's only a one time change, I'd actually recommend making the change directly in the database using a SQL statement like

"UPDATE <table_name> SET status = 'Submitted' WHERE status = 'Requested'

If you don't do this it's going to be a lot more complex - you'll need to create a process that queries the data, updates the value for that column, and then writes the data back to the database. In my opinion, it's not worth the effort to create a process if you're just doing a one time update.

• The main question I have in reading this post is what is actually being stored in your record. Are you storing the plain text of "Requested" for the status or are you storing an ID that refers to your reference table (which I assume is displayed on the left)?

If it's the latter, you shouldn't need to make any updates. If you change the data in the reference table using your action on the left, then all the places where you use this reference data will be updated automatically. In general this is the preferred approach to ensure that you only need to update the data in one place.

If you actually have the values stored as plan text in your records, then it's a little bit harder to update the results. The question is - do you just need to update this as a one time change or do you anticipate needing to make other changes in the future? If it's only a one time change, I'd actually recommend making the change directly in the database using a SQL statement like

"UPDATE <table_name> SET status = 'Submitted' WHERE status = 'Requested'

If you don't do this it's going to be a lot more complex - you'll need to create a process that queries the data, updates the value for that column, and then writes the data back to the database. In my opinion, it's not worth the effort to create a process if you're just doing a one time update.

Children
No Data